Mubarak orders probe into Cairo clashesFebruary 8th, 2011 - 11:03 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has ordered to set up an independent commission to investigate clashes between his supporters and protesters in Cairo last week that killed at least 11 people.According to the official MENA news agency, Mubarak said Monday that the commission must be fully independent and “comprise people who are known in Egypt as decent and trustworthy.”
The president urged the commission to investigate “the facts of unacceptable violations committed against the protesters”.
The violent clashes took place Feb 1 at downtown Cairo’s Tahrir Square, the main focus of the protesters demanding Mubarak step down after his 30-year rule.
Thousands of Mubarak supporters arrived at the square, riding horses and camels to clash with the protesters. The army has sent tanks and a helicopter to the square in anticipation of turmoil.
Anti-government protests, which saw hundreds of thousands of demonstrators demanding President Mubarak’s resignation, broke out in Egypt Jan 25.
The unrest, seen by many analysts as a major threat to repressive governments in the region, has claimed the lives of at least 300 people and injured several thousand.
Meanwhile, the recent developments in Egypt indicate a slight return of stability after two weeks of unrest.
Mubarak Monday shortened a night curfew in the country by one hour.
- 'Mount indefinite protests over lenient Mubarak sentence' - Jun 03, 2012
- Egyptian prosecutors demand death for Mubarak - Jan 06, 2012
- Egypt confirms bid was made on ex-vice president's life - Feb 24, 2011
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Egypt crisis continues; Is Mubarak headed for clinic? (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- Now Egyptian protesters launch own newspaper - Feb 05, 2011
- Cairo begins to stabilise, pyramids deserted - Feb 06, 2011
- Arab League chief to talk to demonstrators - Feb 04, 2011
- Egypt to celebrate first week without Mubarak - Feb 18, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister goes on trial for mass shootings - Apr 26, 2011
- Hope Egyptian governmental bodies will function normally: Russia - Feb 12, 2011
- Hundreds of Mubarak supporters gather in Cairo - Apr 26, 2011
- Egypt PM begins talks with Opposition - Feb 03, 2011
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: cairo, camels, curfew, demonstrators, egyptian president hosni mubarak, hosni mubarak, independent commission, place feb, president hosni mubarak, president mubarak, protesters, recent developments, repressive governments, ria novosti, riding horses, several thousand, skb, slight return, tahrir square, violent clashes