MPs should live up to standards of founding fathers: SoniaMay 13th, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) MPs should live up to the ideals of the founding fathers of the constitution, Congress president Sonia Gandhi said Sunday, adding the 60th anniversary of the first sitting of parliament was an ocassion for relection on its achievements.
Gandhi said people outside the country had apprehensions about the success of democracy of the country.
She said the “journey of parliament had not always been smooth or without challenges” and the anniversary “was also an occasion for reflection”.
She emphasised that the independence of parliament must be protected at all costs.
She urged members to live up to the ideals of the constitution makers.
“Our conduct must be according to the standards of founding fathers,” Sonia Gandhi said.
- MPs should live up to standards of founding fathers: Sonia (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Parliament turns 60, MPs urged to introspect (Roundup) - May 13, 2012
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- No distinction between majority, minority groups: Sonia - Dec 19, 2010
- Text of president's speech - Aug 14, 2012
- India, US can cooperate for global economic development: President - Nov 08, 2010
- Young Congress MPs nuance Congress stance on Hazare fast - Aug 26, 2011
- Who'lldeliver Goa's 50th year of liberation speech? - Oct 23, 2011
- Graft and greed on rise, putting Indian values in danger: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 19, 2010
- PM lauds high turnout at Kashmir panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Shed factionalism, prepare for future battles: Sonia to Congressmen (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Women still missing from India's politics (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 05, 2011
- Our moral universe is shrinking: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: 60th anniversary, apprehensions, challenges, congress president sonia gandhi, democracy, fathers of the constitution, founding fathers of the constitution, journey, New Delhi, ocassion, parliament, reflection, relection