MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead)August 7th, 2012 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and BJP leader L.K. Advani were among the members from both houses of parliament who voted Tuesday to elect India’s 14th vice president.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, the candidate of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), is expected to win a second term in office, breezing through the challenge from the National Democratic Alliance’s (NDA) candidate, BJP leader Jaswant Singh.
Voting began at 10 a.m. and will continue till 5 p.m. Counting of votes will be taken up at 6 p.m.
The prime minister, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi came together to cast their ballot.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad were among those who voted.
Official sources said 600 of the estimated 787 members from the two houses had voted by 2 p.m.
Ansari, who is seeking re-election, is being backed by the Congress, most other parties of the United Progressive Alliance, those supporting the alliance from outside and some Left parties.
Jaswant Singh, a former union minister, has the backing of the NDA as well as the AIADMK.
Congress leaders said they hoped Ansari would get over 500 votes.
The vice president is elected by members of an electoral college consisting of members of both houses of parliament in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote. Nominated members of the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha are also entitled to take part in the election.
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with comfortable margin (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Voting to elect 14th vice president begins(Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Ansari has edge over Jaswant Singh in vice presidential poll - Aug 06, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Nitish meets Jaswant, pledges support - Jul 26, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA to wait and watch: Advani (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- Hamid Ansari sworn in as vice president (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, hamid ansari, l k advani, lalu prasad, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, meira kumar, mulayam singh yadav, national democratic alliance, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, rajya sabha, single transferable vote