MP’s expense claims rise in a yearSeptember 7th, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Sept 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Official figures show that the expenses for the MPs have gone up immensely as compared to what politicians spent before the expenses scandal.
The bill rose to nearly 90 million pounds which is an increase by a quarter. Politicians are said to have spent the money on staffs, second homes, office costs, traveling and the acquisition of dozens of iPads. The figure differs slightly and is relatively lower to the one in the run-up before the expenses scandal.
The expenses scandal occurred in the year 2009 and rocked Westminster after it was exclusively exposed by the daily telegraph. It’s important to note that before the expenses crises which rocked Westminster from 2008-2009, members of parliament claimed a whooping 95.6 million pounds which interestingly fell to 90.7 million pounds after the scandal. Of the 35,315 claims, which were submitted by the members of parliament, only seven were not met.
All in all, a sum of 89.4 million pounds was handed to 650 MPs in the period 2011-2012. During the period, about 50 iPads were purchased together with a number of apple accessories. Liberal democrats topped the claims with former Prime Minister Gordon Brown getting 127,197 which were attributed to expenses and staffing costs. The incumbent Prime Minister David Cameron is said to have claimed 5,617 a huge chunk of which covered costs associated to the office.
- iPad encrusted with T-rex bone - Nov 02, 2011
- E-books on the rise with sales of digital books growing 18-fold in 2010 - Mar 01, 2011
- To cut corners, Britain to give MPs free iPads - Feb 07, 2012
- Proposal to give Bin Lorry workers iPads criticized - Aug 30, 2011
- Apple's new iPad faces ban in China - Mar 08, 2012
- Apple pays $60 mn for iPad trademark in China - Jul 02, 2012
- Huddled over eurozone crisis, EU leaders watch football - Jun 29, 2012
- British school to give iPads to 1,400 students - Jul 15, 2011
- BBC bought iPads, iPhones not approved for staff - Mar 31, 2011
- Britain council gifts iPads to staff - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: 6 million, apple accessories, chunk, crises, daily telegraph, david cameron, former prime minister, gordon brown, incumbent, ipads, liberal democrats, members of parliament, minister david, mps, parliament, politicians, prime minister gordon brown, scandal, staffs, westminster