MP booked for poll code violationMay 11th, 2009 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 11 (IANS) Sitting Amroha MP Harish Nagpal, who is again contesting the polls as an independent candidate, has been booked for violating the model code by distributing lunch packets to voters, police said Monday.
“A case under section 171 E (bribery) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered against Nagpal,” police inspector Girish Kothiya told IANS by telephone.
The case against Nagpal was registered Sunday at the Gajraula police station in Amroha, some 350 km from Lucknow.
According to district officials, Nagpal last Friday had invited voters at the Mariton hotel in Amroha where his supporters distributed lunch packets to them.
“We have already apprised the State Election Commission (SEC) of the poll code violation so that further action can be taken,” officials said.
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- BSP legislator booked for violence in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 12, 2010
- Book 'bribe-seeking' UP nominees: Poll panel - Jan 28, 2012
- Teacher thrown off train, dies - Aug 27, 2012
- Goa Congress candidate being probed for model code violation - Jan 09, 2012
- Three die after consuming illicit liquor - Apr 06, 2011
- Salman Khan booked for assaulting activist - Nov 30, 2011
- Four Congress leaders booked for thrashing anti-Rahul protesters - Nov 16, 2011
- BSP legislator booked for accident - Sep 10, 2011
- Three booked for assaulting Ghaziabad officials - Mar 18, 2012
- Rahul takes Kanpur by storm but faces poll code breach charge (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Samajwadi Party legislator booked for rape - Sep 17, 2010
- Voters taking cash will be jailed, warns poll panel - Apr 08, 2011
- Ajit Pawar, Pune mayor get notices for violating poll code - Jan 06, 2012
- Four lawyers arrested for attack on media - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: amroha, bribery, district officials, girish, harish, independent candidate, indian penal code, ipc, last friday, lucknow, lunch, model code, mp, nagpal, police inspector, police station, poll code, polls, state election commission