MoU with ASEAN will boost joint tourism, feels IndiaJanuary 13th, 2012 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) to facilitate travel would open up more opportunities for joint promotion of tourism, Union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai has said.
Sahai signed the MoU on strengthening tourism cooperation at the third meeting of ASEAN-India Tourism Ministers at Manado, Indonesia, Thursday. The meeting was jointly chaired by Sahai and Mari Elka Pangestu, Indonesian tourism and creative economy minister.
According to an official statement, Sahai expressed happiness over the progress made by ASEAN-India cooperation in Buddhist pilgrimage tourism including the production of material and documentary films. He said India was looking forward to more joint-tourism promotion activities.
Sahai said since the number of tourist arrivals between ASEAN and India had shown a steady growth, establishment of an ASEAN promotional chapter in Mumbai would act as a tourism marketing and promotion agency of the ASEAN National Tourism Organisation.
Sahai also welcomed the forthcoming ASEAN-India car rally to be held this year.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had announced during the ASEAN Summit at Bali last year that an MoU on strengthening tourism cooperation between India and ASEAN would be signed preferably at the ASEAN-India tourism ministers’ meet in early 2012.
Besides cooperation in facilitating travel and tourist visits, the MoU speaks of enhancing human resource development in the tourism sector and exploring new possibilities for development and promotion of tourism.
- Now movies to promote Incredible India abroad - Feb 16, 2012
- India, Mauritius to strengthen travel trade - Jul 13, 2012
- India to help Afghanistan develop tourism - May 27, 2011
- India, Israel ink pact to boost tourism - Jun 25, 2012
- India, Malaysia ink six pacts to take bilateral ties forward (Part-I) - Oct 27, 2010
- PM announces visa on arrival for four Asean countries - Oct 30, 2010
- Ahead of ASEAN summit, India to host Mekong-Ganga meeting - Aug 13, 2012
- India, Indonesia begin talks for economic accord - Oct 04, 2011
- India, Kuwait to cooperate on healthcare - Apr 23, 2012
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012
- UAE, South Korea sign MoU in health care - Mar 15, 2011
- Krishna heads to Cambodia for three regional meets - Jul 08, 2012
- India, Malaysia to expedite deals for improving economic ties - May 03, 2011
- India keen on stronger bilateral, regional ties with Malaysia - May 03, 2011
- India, Uzbekistan join to promote tourism - May 16, 2011
Tags: asean summit, association of southeast asian nations, buddhist pilgrimage, car rally, creative economy, human resource development, india car, india tourism, indonesian tourism, manado indonesia, manmohan singh, mari elka pangestu, memorandum of understanding, national tourism, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sahai, southeast asian nations, tourism cooperation, tourism promotion activities