Mother of German ‘rape victim’ to take minister to courtOctober 30th, 2008 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 30 (IANS) The mother of a 14-year-old German girl who was allegedly raped by the kin of Goan politicians will move court against minister Churchill Alemao for slandering the reputation of the victim through an advertisement, her counsel said Thursday.”Not only is the advertisement released by Mr Alemao (the public works department minister) slandering the reputation of the child, it is also contempt of court,” the German mother’s counsel advocate Aires Rodrigues told reporters at a press conference Thursday.
She said the advertisement violates the directions of the Goa Children’s Court, cautioning the media against using names or other information on such a victim.
The advertisement which appeared in the Oct 28 edition of Herald, a Goan English daily, besides identifying the girl’s mother by name, also claimed that the victim was “romping with men of older age at Goan night clubs”.
The mysterious ad, which claims to have the backing of 390 named individuals, also accused Rodrigues of indulging in bigamy.
Rodrigues also claimed that most of the names in the half page advertisement released in Herald, a local English daily, were bogus. “The advertisement also contains the name of Aditya Angle, the son of former Bharatiya Janata Party MP Ramakant Angle. I have confirmed with Aditya, who told me that he wasn’t aware about the nature of the advertisement,” Rodrigues claimed.
Child Right’s Goa, an NGO working in the field of child rights, is due to petition the Goa Children’s Court this week, informing the latter of the blatant violation of its directive by the newspaper.
The sparring between minister Alemao and Rodrigues began after the former’s nephew Warren Alemao was also accused of rape by the mother of the minor German girl. The German mother, fighting for justice to her daughter, had filed a police complaint this month accusing Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate’s son Rohit of raping her daughter.
- Advertisement slanders German rape victim in Goa - Oct 28, 2008
- Another minister's kin named in rape of German teen - Oct 23, 2008
- British MP's political outing in Goa draws flak - Feb 14, 2012
- German girl's rape: Goa seeks consulate's help - Sep 15, 2010
- Police to probe if Goa minister is sheltering rape accused - Oct 21, 2008
- German rape victim deposes before magistrate - Nov 01, 2008
- Minister accuses NRI of defaming daughter on Facebook - Apr 28, 2011
- Teenage rape victim turns suicidal, abusive - Feb 17, 2010
- Goa minister denies harbouring rape accused - Oct 22, 2008
- Goa minister's kin claims innocence in German girl's rape (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- 'Congress leader scuttled investigations into German girl's rape' - Nov 03, 2008
- Court to hear petition to ban 'Dum Maro Dum' - Apr 06, 2011
- German minor rape trial begins in Goa - Feb 15, 2010
- Settle defamation case amicably: Court urges Dikshit, BJP leader - Mar 15, 2012
- Media obsessed with white skin: Goa minister - Dec 12, 2009