Mortar fired at US lawmaker’s plane in SomaliaApril 14th, 2009 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Washington/Nairobi, April 13 (DPA) A mortar was fired Monday at the plane of a US congressman as he was taking off from Somalia’s capital, just one day after a US captain was rescued from the grip of pirates off the Somali coast.
Donald Payne, who chairs a legislative subcommittee on Africa, was leaving Mogadishu after meeting with Somali officials and headed to Kenya. His spokeswoman, Kerry McKenny, told CNN that a mortar was fired at the plane as they were leaving the city’s airport, “but they did take off safely”.
US Navy snipers Sunday shot dead three Somali pirates who had been holding US captain Richard Phillips hostage on a lifeboat since Wednesday, following a failed attempt to seize a US cargo vessel.
Some pirate groups had already vowed to avenge their colleagues and to kill any American hostages taken in the future.
- US ship attacked by Somali pirates escapes capture - Apr 15, 2009
- US ship crew call for anti-piracy action - Apr 13, 2009
- US captain's rescue may mean trouble for other hostages - Apr 14, 2009
- Pirates attack Maersk Alabama again - Nov 18, 2009
- Alabama ship is in Mombasa; FBI sequesters crew, ship - Apr 12, 2009
- Somali elders in fresh attempt to free US captain - Apr 12, 2009
- Somalian pirates attack US ship for second time in seven months - Nov 19, 2009
- Somali pirates fail to reinforce embattled comrades (Lead) - Apr 12, 2009
- Detained Somali pirate to be tried as adult - Apr 22, 2009
- Hijacked lifeboat with US captain near Somali shore: Report - Apr 12, 2009
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- Somali pirates foil US captain's escape attempt - Apr 10, 2009
- Somali pirates rushing to help comrades in face-off with US Navy - Apr 11, 2009
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Tenth Somali pirate pleads guilty in pirate attack that left 4 Americans killed - May 27, 2011
Tags: american hostages, captain richard, cargo vessel, cnn, congressman, donald payne, hostage, lawmaker, legislative subcommittee, lifeboat, mckenny, mogadishu, mortar, nairobi, pirate, richard phillips, snipers, somali coast, somali pirates, spokeswoman