Morsi appoints Hesham Qandil as Egypt’s new PMJuly 25th, 2012 - 2:42 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, July 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti)Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has appointed Hesham Qandil, a former water resources minister, as prime minister of the country and asked him to form the new government, reported Egyptian TV Tuesday.
Qandil, a US-educated engineer, has been dubbed “the first bearded Egyptian minister”, with reference to his links with the Islamists.
Talks on formation of a cabinet have been underway for over a month. Experts say the main problem in forming a cabinet has been the technocrats’ refusal to work with the Islamists who have recently come to power.
“My cabinet will comprise a balanced number of technocrats. Their professional skills will be taken into account while distributing the posts,” Qandil told a press conference following his appointment.
The premier said he would discuss the potential candidates with President Morsi.
According to the Egyptian media , the new government will be almost exclusively made up of new members.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice party, which nominated its former member Morsi for the presidential elections, has repeatedly said it would not take the key seats in the Cabinet, in particular the Foreign Ministry and Interior Ministry.
It would rather give them to technocrat ministers.
- Top military dismissals are in Egypt's interests: Morsi (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- EU welcomes Morsi as Egypt's new leader - Jul 01, 2012
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- Islamist Morsi sworn in as Egypt's president - Jun 30, 2012
- No foreigners at Egypt president's inauguration - Jun 29, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood seeks dialogue to 'save revolution' - May 26, 2012
- No restrictions for tourists in Egypt - Jun 30, 2012
- Egyptian parliament meets despite court ruling - Jul 11, 2012
- 10 killed as protesters storm Cairo building - Jan 30, 2011
- Egypt urges IMF for $4.8 bn loan - Aug 23, 2012
- Egypt court clears Mubarak aides for election - Jun 15, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood's party officially registered in Egypt - Jun 07, 2011
- Spain, Egypt to create consortium to foster investment - Sep 11, 2012
- Egyptian camel handlers threaten 'siege' - Mar 28, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: appointment, cairo, egypt, egyptian media, egyptian minister, egyptian president, egyptian tv, engineer, foreign ministry, interior ministry, justice party, key seats, muslim brotherhood, president mohamed, presidential elections, prime minister, professional skills, ria novosti, technocrats, water resources