More trouble for ex cricketer Madan Lal in HimachalMarch 26th, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 26 (IANS) Former India cricketer Madan Lal Thursday faced more trouble in Himachal Pradesh as senior Congress leaders, including former chief minister Virbhadra Singh, came out openly against his nomination from the Hamirpur parliamentary constituency.
The five-time chief minister and candidate from the Mandi seat charged “certain vested interests” within the party with being hand-in-glove with Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal of the Bharatiya Janata Party and helping him by fielding a weak candidate against his son (sitting MP Anurag Thakur).
“I would personally request the party high command to reconsider its decision regarding allotment of the ticket to Madan Lal,” Virbhadra Singh told reporters in Mandi town.
He held Congress Legislature Party leader Vidya Stokes, legislators G.S. Bali and Sukvinder Sukhu and Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma responsible for fielding Madan Lal.
Expressing concern over the resignation of party leaders in Hamirpur in protest against not allotting the party ticket to Narinder Thakur, who had left the BJP to join the Congress, he said the party high command should “respect public sentiments for Narinder Thakur”.
Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee president Kaul Singh Thakur, however, said that some of the party leaders did not want Narinder Thakur nominated for the seat.
“A section of party leaders have a feeling that he (Narinder Thakur) is a new entrant to the party. But there is no harm in giving him the chance as he knows much about the Dhumals,” he said.
Anurag Thakur won the by-election in May 2008 by 174,666 votes. He is a former cricketer too, having represented Punjab in the Ranji Trophy.
Meanwhile, Madan Lal Thursday reached Himachal Pradesh and met some party leaders. He also visited the Naina Devi temple to pray.
- Madan Lal fails to get Congress ticket from Himachal - Apr 03, 2009
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Announce chief minister candidates early: Virbhadra - Apr 10, 2012
- Congress legislators want seniors to come together (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Five-time Himachal minister dead - Sep 01, 2012
- Himachal Congress gives 'charge sheet' against BJP regime - Aug 23, 2012
- Rough electoral pitch for Madan Lal in Himachal Pradesh - Mar 25, 2009
- Himachal poll war hots up as Congress names candidates - Mar 15, 2009
- Two-time MP, BJP rebel file nominations in Himachal - Apr 18, 2009
- Himachal chief minister's son files poll papers - Apr 20, 2009
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Himachal chief minister's son wins Hamirpur seat - May 16, 2009
- Sink differences over ticket to Madan Lal, Congress cadre told - Mar 28, 2009
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: anurag, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, committee president, congress committee, congress leaders, congress legislature party, cricketer, hand in glove, himachal, kaul, madan lal, naina devi, parliamentary constituency, party leaders, party ticket, public sentiments, ranji trophy, shimla, sukhu