Money not reaching people, terror on rise in Chhattisgarh: Rahul (Lead)November 12th, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Dhamtari (Chhattisgarh), Nov 12 (IANS) The central government’s annual fund of Rs.80 billion for Chhattisgarh was not reaching the people because of rampant corruption by the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), while terrorism has increased in the state during its tenure, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi said here Wednesday. With only two days to go before the first round of polling in the state, the Congress MP said while addressing a rally in this town, about 60 km from the capital Raipur, that the BJP government falsely accused the Congress-led central government of being biased.
“When the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government was in power at the centre, it was providing just Rs.800 crore (Rs.8 billion) annually to the state,” he said.
The Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government, he added, was providing Rs.80 billion to Chhattisgarh for various schemes annually.
Gandhi began his speech with a famous local slogan “Chhattisgarhia sabse badhiya (people of Chhattisgarh are the best)”.
“You people know better if the previous Congress government worked for the state’s development or the present BJP government,” he said.
“This government complains to the Centre about terrorism but it has increased in its own regime in Chhattisgarh,” the Congress general secretary remarked.
He appealed to the voters: “Your fate is in your hands, throw out this BJP and install a Congress government for fast development.”
Elections for the 90-member Chhattisgarh assembly will be held in two phases Nov 14 and 20.
- Central government funds not reaching Chhattisgarh people: Rahul - Nov 12, 2008
- Chhattisgarh government is corrupt, anti-development: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 10, 2008
- Pay attention to your scam-ridden party, Mayawati tells Sonia - Nov 26, 2010
- Break your silence over corruption: Kalraj to Sonia, Rahul - Nov 14, 2011
- BJP-led Chhattisgarh government is corrupt, anti-development: Rahul (Lead) - Nov 10, 2008
- Kejriwal is BJP agent, says Digvijay Singh - Jul 21, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- CBI must be independent: BSP - Dec 29, 2011
- No breakthrough after meeting on NCTC anti-terror hub - Mar 12, 2012
- BJP Yuva Morcha protest over corruption in CWG preparations - Aug 03, 2010
- BJP promises NDA government at centre by 2014 - May 26, 2012
- Cancelling coal blocks impossible: Congress - Sep 05, 2012
- Shutdown evokes mixed response in Meghalaya - May 31, 2012
- Punjab ruling alliance claims complete shutdown in state - Jul 04, 2011