Modi’s rival offers to quit BJP national executive (Lead)May 24th, 2012 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Sanjay Joshi, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s bete noire, has offered to resign from the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) national executive, said sources Thursday.
Party sources said Joshi had offered to resign after Modi had reportedly said he would not attend the two-day meeting beginning Thursday due to Joshi’s inclusion in the national executive.
Modi had kept away from the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections as Joshi was given a key post in managing the campaigning for the party.
Joshi earlier had to resign from the post of party general secretary in 2005 after a clip of him showing in a compromising position with a woman was circulated.
Party president Nitin Gadkari later reinstated Joshi in the party, a move which caused a rift between Gadkari and Modi.
Speculations are rife if Modi would attend the Mumbai meet after Joshi’s resignation.
The official stand of the party on the resignation has, however, not been made clear, even as the party president asked some senior leaders to consider his offer Thursday morning.
Modi was scheduled to be in Udaipur, Rajasthan, Thursday to attend a function.
When called by IANS to confirm his resignation, Joshi did not answer his phone.
- Joshi quits BJP national executive, Modi to attend meeting (Second Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Modi wins, Joshi quits, BJP downplays conflict (Fourth Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi offers to quit BJP national executive - May 24, 2012
- Modi to attend BJP meet, Joshi quits (Third Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Modi needs to review style of working: RSS mouthpiece (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- BJP: A divided house despite patch-up moves - May 26, 2012
- Joshi fears for his life, writes to Chidambaram - Jul 09, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi quits BJP (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi, Modi's foe, quits BJP (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- BJP bows to Modi, Joshi quits party (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2012
- Posters target Modi for Sanjay Joshi exit (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Will Modi be BJP's prime ministerial candidate? - May 27, 2012
- (VM) Joshi fears for his life, writes to Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Posters target Modi for Sanjay Joshi exit - Jun 05, 2012
- 2014 polls on BJP's mind, Yeddyurappa props Modi (Lead) - May 25, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bete noire, bharatiya janata party, bjp, campaigning, chief minister, general secretary, gujarat, inclusion, may 24, narendra modi, nitin, party president, party sources, resignation, sanjay joshi, speculations, thursday morning, udaipur rajasthan, uttar pradesh