Modi’s arch rival Keshubhai Patel sees future PM in himApril 30th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Rajkot, April 30 (IANS) Former Gujarat chief minister Keshubhai Patel surprised all Thursday when he said his arch rival and sucessor Narendra Modi has “all the qualities to become a prime minister”.
“I think Narendra Modi has all the qualities required by any leader to become the prime minister of the country,” Patel told reporters here.
He, however, added there was no dearth of leaders in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) eligible for the prime minister’s post.
The veteran BJP leader was echoing the remarks made in the past week by party leaders Arun Shourie and Arun Jaitley, terming Modi a future prime ministerial candidate - after L.K. Advani.
Patel, who cast his vote at the Saraswati High School here, was replaced with Modi in October 2001. He later supported a rebellion by a section of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators and functionaries against Modi.
As the party’s central leadership backed Modi, Patel and his supporters have been left sulking. Patel’s followers like former central ministers Vallabh Kathiria and Kashiram Rana were denied the party tickets to contest Lok Sabha polls.
- Modi rule akin to Emergency: Suresh Mehta - May 30, 2012
- Is BJP resurrecting Keshubhai to take on Modi? (Gujarat Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Keshubhai Patel quits BJP, may float new party - Aug 04, 2012
- RSS mouthpiece slams Modi - Jun 02, 2012
- Modi trying to divert attention from BJP rift: Congress - Jun 11, 2012
- Joshi vs Modi: no clear winner in tangled BJP web (Comment) - Jun 09, 2012
- BJP bows to Modi, Joshi quits party (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2012
- BJP meet will discuss differences -- within (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Modi needs to review style of working: RSS mouthpiece (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- BJP meet will discuss differences -- within - May 23, 2012
- Advani praises Modi on blog - Mar 25, 2012
- Somnath Trust plans temple-township - Jun 29, 2010
- Advani defends Modi - Jul 08, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi quits BJP - Jun 08, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: arch rival, arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, central leadership, chief minister, dearth, followers, gujarat, l k advani, legislators, lok sabha polls, narendra modi, party leaders, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, rana, rebellion, s central, vote