Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead)July 21st, 2012 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will visit Japan July 22-27 and is expected to meet Suzuki Motor’s top executives on the automobile major’s plans to set up production facilities in his state.
Modi’s visit will “further strengthen the ties between Gujarat and Japan in the context of the global strategic partnership which Japan and India enjoy”, the Japanese embassy in India said Friday.
Modi will be accompanied by senior government officials and business representatives, it said in a statement.
The chief minister will meet ministers, MPs, governors and business leaders in Japan. He will also attend investment promotion seminars in Tokyo, Hamamatsu and Nagoya.
Modi’s expected meeting with top executives of Suzuki Motor comes at a time when Maruti-Suzuki plant in Manesar in Haryana is witnessing tense industrial relations.
A senior executive was killed and many people injured in a fire in the plant Wednesday after thousands of workers locked the plant’s gates trapping officials inside. Two Japanese nationals were also injured.
Maruti Suzuki is pinning its expansion hopes on a new plant in Gujarat.
It plans to set up a plant with an installed capacity of two million units per annum in Mehsana. It envisages two sites with an area of 600 acres each — one for the plant and the other to be allotted to components and ancillary vendors.
Modi had earlier convinced Tata Group to shift its Nano car factory to Sanand after the company was unable to run its plant in Singur in West Bengal due to an agitation by farmers.
- Modi to visit Japan July 22-27 - Jul 20, 2012
- Manesar violence blow to Maruti, may hit Japanese investment - Jul 20, 2012
- Allay fears of Japanese investors: BJP MP - Aug 30, 2012
- Maruti not shifting from Haryana, Bhargava assures Hooda - Jul 23, 2012
- Maruti's Manesar plant incident was a criminal act: Suzuki - Aug 23, 2012
- Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violence - Jul 23, 2012
- Not shying from investing in Haryana plants: Maruti Suzuki - Nov 03, 2011
- Maruti's Rs.4,000 crore plant to come up in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2012
- Moily: Is Modi confident of regaining power in Gujarat? - Jul 24, 2012
- Haryana to post police battalion in Manesar - Aug 01, 2012
- Maruti to invest Rs.1,700 crore in Manesar plant: Haryana minister - Aug 24, 2012
- Trade unions demand end of Maruti lockout, CBI probe - Aug 04, 2012
- Agitating workers asked to vacate Maruti premises - Oct 13, 2011
- Maruti not to abandon Manesar plant, says Bhargava (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: business representatives, car factory, chief minister, embassy in india, gujarat, hamamatsu, haryana, industrial relations, investment promotion, japanese embassy, japanese nationals, manesar, maruti suzuki, narendra modi, singur, strategic partnership, suzuki motor, tata group, top executives, west bengal