Modi criticises Rahul, Congress says BJP is anti-peopleFebruary 21st, 2009 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
Surat/New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Saturday criticised Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, asking him not to comment on the state’s economic initiatives. The Congress responded by saying that Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was pro-corporate and had little concern for masses.
“Some people come from Delhi and give us advice on the Tata Nano project without full information,” Modi said in Surat.
He was reacting to Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s criticism of the Gujarat government. Gandhi, while visiting Surat Feb 14, had said the Modi government had doled out special favours to Tata Motors for shifting its small car Nano project from West Bengal to Sanand.
Referring to the downturn in the Indian diamond polishing industry, most of which is concentrated in Surat, Modi said: “It is for the central government to take care of the diamond industry. My government has already given VAT concessions.”
In reply, the Congress said the basic problem with the BJP is its ideology which is pro-corporate and has nothing to do with the masses.
“It is the fault of the party ideology which supports the corporate world. It is extremely sad that in the land of Mahatma Gandhi, the corporate world is favoured who are earning crores of rupees,” Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh said in New Delhi.
“The Modi government has nothing to do with medium and small scale industries,” he added.
- Modi targets Rahul, Congress terms BJP anti-people (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Centre trying to ruin Nano car project: Modi - Feb 22, 2009
- Narendra Modi kickstarts poll campaign in Gujarat - Sep 11, 2012
- Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- More investment from Tata group likely in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2010
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Nano's Sanand plant goes on stream (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Narender Modi inaugurates new manufacturing plant of Nano in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2010
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Contrasting styles mark Modi, Vaghela fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- Advani praises Modi on blog - Mar 25, 2012
- First Nano from Gujarat unit rolls out Wednesday - Jun 02, 2010
- For the Congress, silence is not golden (Comment) - Sep 08, 2012
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, central government, chief minister, congress leader, criticised, crores, diamond industry, downturn, economic initiatives, favours, general secretary, gujarat government, mahatma gandhi, nano project, narendra modi, rahul gandhi, rupees, small car, tata motors, west bengal