Modi appreciators being victimised, says BJPJuly 30th, 2012 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party Monday said those appreciating Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were becoming “victim of the worst kind of vote bank politics” and questioned the “silence” of the Congress over communal riots in Assam.
Addressing media a day after Congress MP Vijay Darda was pulled up for remarks lauding Modi, which he later retracted, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad called it a campaign against the Gujarat chief minister.
“Whether it is a Congress MP (Darda), Delhi chief minister (Sheila Dikshit), or an editor (Shahid Siddiqui) related to the Samajwadi Party, whoever appreciates the development and good administration of Gujarat becomes the victim of the worst kind of vote bank politics,” Prasad said.
He gave the example of Urdu daily Nayi Duniya’s editor Shahid Siddiqui, with whom the Samajwadi Party dissociated after he interviewed Modi, and former Darul Uloom vice-chancellor Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi who was forced to quit from the Islamic seminary for praising Modi’s governance.
“From BJP, we condemn this victimisation of those who appreciate Modi,” he said.
He also questioned the silence of the Congress over the Assam communal violence.
“The people who have been criticising Gujarat day and night for ten years are maintaining a conspicuous silence as far as Assam riots are concerned,” he added.
Darda, the Congress Rajya Sabha member from Maharashtra, called Modi a “saint” and a “tiger” at a function in Ahmedabad, but retracted the remark later.
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Samjawadi Party frustrated, says Shahid Siddiqui - Jul 30, 2012
- SP distances from Siddiqui for Modi interview - Jul 28, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark reprehensible, says minister - Jul 26, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark triggers Congress, BJP slug-fest (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Vastanvi sacked as Deoband VC for praise of Narendra Modi (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Congress members harming party prospects in Gujarat: Shastri - Jul 31, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark reprehensible, says Congress (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- I have not praised Modi: Deoband Islamic seminary chief (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi - Jul 29, 2012
- Congress to ascertain facts on Darda's Modi remarks - Jul 31, 2012
- Vastanvi praises Assam opposition leader Ajmal - Apr 29, 2011
- Vastanvi loses Deoband job for praising Narendra Modi (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Decision of shoora is final: Vastanvi - Jul 22, 2011
- My Modi remarks misquoted: Deoband seminary chief - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: assam, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, communal riots, communal violence, darda, darul uloom, ghulam, gujarat, islamic seminary, narendra modi, prasad, rajya sabha member, ravi shankar, Samajwadi Party, sheila dikshit, vice chancellor, victimisation, vote bank