Moderate turnout in Uttar Pradesh by-polls (Second Lead)November 7th, 2009 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 7 (IANS) An average of 49.37 percent voting was recorded in by-elections to 11 assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh Saturday while the turnout in Firozabad parliamentary seat was over 50 percent, officials said.
In Firozabad, where actor Raj Babbar of the Congress is pitted against Dimple Yadav, the daughter-in-law of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, the total turnout was 53.5 percent.
The lowest turnout (28 percent) was recorded in the state capital’s Lucknow West assembly seat, while the highest (60 percent) was recorded in Lalitpur.
The other seats where polling was held were Puwayan (Shahjahanpur), Isauli (Sultanpur), Hainsar Bazar (Sant Kabir Nagar), Padrauna (Kushinagar), Kolasala (Varanasi), Rari (Jaunpur), Etawah, Bhartana (Etawah) and Jhansi.
The by-polls followed resignations by 10 legislators and the death of another.
As many as 4.9 million voters were eligible to vote Saturday. A total 2,300 micro observers were deployed in and around 5,616 polling stations, which were monitored by some 2,200 digital and 700 video cameras.
- Heavy turnout in Firozabad constituency (Lead) - Nov 07, 2009
- Voting begins in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 07, 2009
- 49 percent turnout in 'peaceful' Uttar Pradesh by-poll (Third Lead) - Nov 07, 2009
- UP by-polls prestige issue for ruling BSP - Nov 06, 2009
- BSP big winner in Uttar Pradesh, SP routed (Roundup) - Nov 10, 2009
- Azharuddin, minister booked for violating poll code of conduct - Nov 04, 2009
- BJP asks for central forces for Uttar Pradesh by-polls - Oct 06, 2009
- UPA and BSP cheer, by-elections crush SP, Left (Roundup) - Nov 10, 2009
- Heavy voting in Lok Sabha, assembly by-polls (Intro-Roundup) - Nov 07, 2009
- Heavy voting in Lok Sabha, assembly by-elections (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2009
- 59.4 percent turnout in 5th phase of UP polls (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Bypoll a shot in the arm for Mayawati - Nov 10, 2009
- UP polls: 59 percent vote in 5th phase (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Saturday's by-elections (Lead) - Nov 05, 2009
- Brisk polling in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: assembly seat, assembly seats, congress, dimple, jaunpur, kushinagar, legislators, observers, padrauna, parliamentary seat, party chief, polling stations, polls, raj babbar, resignations, sant kabir, shahjahanpur, sultanpur, varanasi, video cameras