Moderate to heavy polling in Assam (Third Lead)April 11th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 11 (IANS) Voting for the second and final phase of elections in Assam proceeded peacefully with nearly 50 percent polling recorded till midday Monday, officials said.
An official said voting began at 7 a.m. in all the 64 assembly constituencies Monday. Voting will continue till 3 p.m. in 11,589 polling stations. Assam has 126 assembly constituencies.
“There has been moderate to heavy polling in most places. We expect the turnout to be very high as the weather is perfect and the response so far from voters has been very encouraging,” the official said.
“So far polling has been going on peacefully,” he added.
An estimated 9.7 million voters will decide the fate of 496 candidates in the fray.
Among the prominent candidates whose fate would be sealed Monday are Chandra Mohan Patowary, president of the main opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), two-time former chief minister and AGP senior Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, and Congress ministers Himanta Biswa Sarma and Rockybul Hussain. There are 41 women candidates.
The Congress is confident of retaining power.
“We are confident that people will vote for good governance, stability and peace,” Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said.
“I am happy at the very encouraging turnout,” said Sarma, the health minister and Congress candidate from Jalukbari in Guwahati.
The opposition too is equally optimistic.
“The people of Assam are looking for a change,” Patowary said after casting his vote.
The first phase of polling April 11 sealed the fate of 485 candidates with an estimated 73 percent polling recorded in 62 assembly seats.
The results will be declared May 13.
More than 40,000 police and paramilitary troopers were deployed in various places, with the authorities not taking any chances despite a general lull on the insurgency front.
- Second phase polling underway in Assam (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Voting continues peacefully in Assam (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Polling begins for second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- 70 percent turnout in second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- Around 65 percent turnout as voting ends in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Brisk polling in Assam - Apr 11, 2011
- Polling underway for second phase of Assam elections - Apr 11, 2011
- Assam all set for final phase polling Monday - Apr 09, 2011
- Assam polls: Violence reported from Rangiya - Apr 11, 2011
- Congress juggernaut decimates AGP, BJP in Assam (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Stage set for Assam first phase elections (Poll Curtain Raiser) - Apr 03, 2011
- AGP chief loses in Assam - May 13, 2011
- We will form Assam government, say both Congress, opposition - May 10, 2011
- Polling begins for first phase of Assam elections - Apr 04, 2011
- Election 2011 begins peacefully with Assam, 66 percent turnout (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: assam, assembly constituencies, assembly seats, chandra mohan, chief minister, congress candidate, fate, final phase, gogoi, good governance, health minister, himanta biswa sarma, hussain, lull, mahanta, midday, peace chief, polling stations, tarun, weather