MNS will play a constructive opposition: Raj ThackerayOctober 22nd, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 22 (IANS) Thanking the people who voted Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) members to the Maharashtra assembly, Raj Thackeray Thursday said his party will play a constructive opposition to highlight the problems of the people of the state.
“I don’t count figures. I have 12-13 members in the assembly who will raise people’s problems in the house,” Thackeray told reporters Thursday evening as leads and results of the elections showed the Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) combine was poised to win 148 seats and cross the halfway mark to retain the power.
The MNS was leading or had won 12 seats while main opposition - the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-Shiv Sena alliance - was unlikely to cross the 100 mark.
Thackeray said while the Congress-NCP had failed to put up an impressive show, the opposition BJP-Shiv Sena combine had also failed.
“Their (BJP-Shiv Sena) wrong policies failed them,” he responded when asked to comment on the BJP blaming his party for playing a spoilsport and splitting votes in favour of the Congress.
He said his lawmakers will show how questions related to people’s problems are raised, which the BJP-Shiv Sena failed to do despite having some 120 legislators in the house of 288 members.
“They were almost like an alternative government but they failed. For five years they did nothing,” he said.
Denied opportunity to play the role of a king maker, Thackeray said, “The MNS will only play a role of constructive opposition in the assembly.”
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Gadkari supports Munde on tri-partite alliance - Feb 24, 2011
- Maharashtra gears up for civic polls - Jan 04, 2012
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Goa results will go the way of Mumbai civic poll: BJP - Feb 18, 2012
- Opposition shocks Congress-NCP in Khadakwasla by-poll - Oct 17, 2011
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- Jubilance and disappointment after Maharashtra civic polls results - Feb 17, 2012
- Congress, NCP score well in five civic bodies' polls - Apr 16, 2012
- Widow of MNS legislator joins NCP - Sep 22, 2011
- With four-zero score, electoral nought for Congress (Roundup) - Oct 17, 2011
- BJP-Shiv Sena concedes defeat in Maharashtra - Oct 22, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, combine, congress ncp, constructive opposition, elections, favour, lawmakers, legislators, maharashtra assembly, mark thackeray, mns members, mumbai, nationalist congress party, raj thackeray, spoilsport