MNS demands security for Raj ThackerayNovember 17th, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 17 (IANS) A delegation of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Monday evening called on Governor S.C. Jamir, demanding restoration of security cover to party president Raj Thackeray.The delegation in its three-page memorandum to Jamir complained that the Z-category security cover provided to Thackeray was abruptly withdrawn Oct 22, MNS spokesman Shirish Parker told IANS shortly after the meeting at Raj Bhavan.
The state government’s move was inexplicable since Thackeray and his family members were provided security since the demolition of the Babri Mosque in 1992 and the subsequent riots that engulfed Mumbai, Parker said.
Requesting the governor to direct the state government to restore Thackeray’s security cover, the delegation pointed out that in the absence of security, the MNS president was virtually under ‘house-arrest’ with severe constraints on his movement within and outside Mumbai.
Giving the delegation a patient hearing, Jamir said that for him, ensuring the security of each and every individual in the state, including the MNS chief, was of paramount importance.
In an indirect hint at the MNS’s recent campaign targeting people from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, Jamir also told the delegation leaders: “It should be the endeavour of political parties to respect the sentiments of every citizen and maintain the unity and integrity of the country.”
He assured the delegation, comprising Bala Nandgaonkar, Shishir Shinde, Nitin Sardesai, Pravin Darekar and Shweta Parulekar, that he would bring the issue to the notice of the state government.
Parker said the delegation was hopeful that with the governor’s intervention in the matter, the issue would be resolved soon.
Asked about comments from the city police that they would upgrade Thakceray’s security, Parker said: “Even we had heard about it from the media, but that’s all.”
For the past over three weeks, Thackeray has been moving around with a private security and a protective cordon of his own partymen, Parker said.
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- MNS shows fake PAN card of Maharashtra minister - Jul 26, 2011
- Raj Thackeray meets Maharashtra Governor - Jan 30, 2009
- Raj warns against stalling flyover due to Lata's objection - Dec 06, 2011
- Thousands bid final farewell to Pune legislator - Jun 11, 2011
- MNS activists demand repairs to Mumbai's new flyover - Jun 23, 2011
- Four MNS legislators' suspension revoked - Jul 12, 2010
- Azmi attacked over Hindi oath, four MNS members suspended (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2009
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Modi ignores Uddhav, says Raj - Sep 21, 2011
- MNS offers unconditional support to Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI in Thane - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress MP dares Uddhav, Raj to give up security - Oct 27, 2011
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray gets another death threat - Oct 31, 2008
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012