MNS bags Nashik mayor’s post - with BJP supportMarch 15th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Nashik, March 15 (IANS) The Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Thursday bagged the prestigious post of mayor in the Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) with the unexpected support of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
MNS candidate Yatin Wagh romped home with 56 votes while Communist Party of India’s Tanaji Jaibhave got only three votes in the 122-member house.
MNS won 40 seats while the BJP had 14 members in the house. The Congress-Nationalist Congress Party combine with 35 seats abstained from voting while the Shiv Sena boycotted the proceedings.
In the electoral maths, MNS needed the magic figure of 62 in the 122-member house. Besides the BJP members, two others also supported the MNS candidate.
Stung by what it termed as a volte face by its long-time ally, the Shiv Sena criticised the BJP.
Shiv Sena Nashik unit spokesperson Arvind Sawant alleged that its ally, BJP, “committed a volte face at the last minute” and did not adhere “to the requirements of alliance politics”.
The development came a fortnight after Raj Thackeray declared publicly that the “MNS engine (its party symbol)” would not be “parked in somebody else’s yard”, implying his party would not ally with anybody.
Later, in an unexpected move last week, MNS declared its support to the Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI mayors in Mumbai and Thane municipal corporations.
This was followed by the BJP staking its claim to the post of mayor with MNS support.
BJP state president Sudhir Mungantiwar pointed out that the BJP and Shiv Sena fought the elections separately in Nashik, so there was no question of ‘betrayal’ as alleged by Shiv Sena.
Mungantiwar said the sentiments of the people were with MNS and the BJP respected it by extending support to the party.
- Nashik will have MNS mayor: Raj Thackeray - Feb 19, 2012
- BJP eyeing Nashik mayor's post with MNS support - Feb 24, 2012
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP on top in Thane - Feb 17, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- 'BJP not to sever ties with Shiv Sena over Pranab' - Jun 20, 2012
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- MNS offers unconditional support to Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI in Thane - Mar 06, 2012
- Jubilance and disappointment after Maharashtra civic polls results - Feb 17, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011
- Shiv Sena snubs Munde over remarks on MNS - Feb 07, 2011
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: alliance politics, arvind, bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, magic figure, mns, municipal corporations, nashik municipal corporation, nationalist congress party, nmc, party symbol, prestigious post, raj thackeray, s yard, shiv sena, state president, sudhir, time ally, unexpected move, volte face