MLAs head for Delhi to seek relief for PMK leader GuruJuly 15th, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 15 (IANS) As many as 21 PMK legislators left for New Delhi Tuesday to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to seek relief for Vanniya community leader “Kaduvetti” J. Guru, who has been detained in Tamil Nadu. The legisative assembly members from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, led by party president G.K. Mani, were accompanied by Rajya Sabha member and union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss, who belongs to the PMK.
They are objecting to what they call the “misuse” of the National Security Act (NSA) under which Guru, a PMK leader, is being detained by the Tamil Nadu government.
“We will complain about the way the state government has acted in the arrest of Guru. The NSA is being misused,” Ramadoss told the media at the airport here Tuesday.
Besides the prime minister, they are planning to meet union Home Minister Shivraj Patil.
Inflammatory statements against the state’s ruling DMK leadership by Guru, who is the Vanniyar Sangam president, had led the party to sever its alliance with the PMK June 17.
Guru was arrested July 5 at his residence in Kaduvetti village, about 300 km south of Chennai. The charges against him include attempt to murder and inciting violence.
The PMK is a constituent of the United Progress Alliance government in New Delhi, though it has fallen out with the ruling DMK in Tamil Nadu.
- PMK leader Ramadoss' Rajya Sabha dreams go awry - May 15, 2011
- Ramadoss defends PMK colleague criticised by Karunanidhi - Jun 08, 2010
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections - Feb 18, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- CBI raids Anbumani Ramadoss' aide - Feb 21, 2011
- PMK leader Guru arrested in Tamil Nadu(Lead) - Jul 05, 2008
- DMK, Congress to conclude talks on identification of seats - Mar 11, 2011
- Congress against PMK in DMK alliance - Feb 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- PMK leader Guru, 11 supporters arrested - Jul 05, 2008
- Ministers to resign Monday, no hope of patch-up: DMK (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: alliance government, anbumani ramadoss, assembly members, community leader, guru, health minister, inflammatory statements, manmohan, manmohan singh, national security act, nsa, party president, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, puducherry, rajya sabha, sabha member, sangam, tamil nadu government, union home minister