Mixed response to retailers’ strike in BiharDecember 1st, 2011 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 1 (IANS) The 12-hour strike called by traders and retailers in Bihar Thursday to protest the government’s decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail evoked a mixed response in the state, officials said.
While some business establishments across the state downed shutters to join the strike, a majority of market places remained open and vehicles were seen plying on roads.
“By and large, normal life was not hit in Patna and other cities like Gaya, Muzaffarpur and Bhagalpur. But in some pockets, it was reported that traders and business establishments protested by joining the strike,” a police officer said.
However, the strike affected students as most private schools here remained closed as a precautionary measure.
Police made heavy security arrangements at sensitive places to avert any untoward incident.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist Leninist (CPI-ML) and the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supported the strike.
The ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and its ally Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) too extended their support to the strike, while the Congress and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) opposed the move.
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Strike disrupts normal life in Bihar - May 10, 2012
- CPI-ML strike hits Bihar (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Mixed response to anti-government protest (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- CPI-ML's anti-corruption strike affects passengers - Aug 27, 2011
- Strike against FDI in retail affects life in Tripura - Dec 01, 2011
- Tripura government opposes FDI in retail - Nov 30, 2011
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Nitish development claims non-existent: CPI-ML - Apr 29, 2012
- Slogans, songs in Bihar jails to remember Charu Mazumdar - Jul 30, 2010
- CPI-ML attacks Nitish government on corruption - Apr 08, 2011
- Opposition for judicial probe into Bihar legislator's killing - Jan 05, 2011
- RJD to support CPI(ML) strike in Bihar Tuesday - Nov 23, 2009
- CPI-ML to move apex court against massacre case acquittal - Apr 20, 2012
- Voting under way for final phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: bhagalpur, bihar, business establishments, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, fdi, foreign direct investment, heavy security, ljp, marxist leninist, muzaffarpur, patna, precautionary measure, private schools, security arrangements, sensitive places, shutters, state officials, untoward incident