Misunderstanding with yoga guru Ramdev over: RamadossOctober 11th, 2008 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) Burying the hatchet with Baba Ramdev, Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss Saturday said the “misunderstanding” of the past was “over” as the yoga guru had validated his theory that yoga could cure many diseases, including AIDS.Inaugurating a Yoga Science Camp by by Ramdev near the Delhi-Gurgaon border, Ramadoss even practised some of the yoga techniques with him.
The health minister said the yoga guru had clarified about their earlier disputes on the basis of scientific validation and clinical control trial tests.
“After proper communication and deliberations with him (Ramdev), the phase of misunderstanding is over,” said a statement issued by the Patanjail Yogpeeth trust, Ramdev’s flagship project that had organised the yoga camp.
Ramadoss had, in the past, rubbished Ramdev’s claims that yoga could cure AIDS.
His ministry had also served a notice on the controversial guru, who has popularised the ancient systems in India and abroad, for making claims of curing various diseases, including AIDS and cancer.
Ramadoss had, however, praised the ascetic for popularising yoga even when Ramdev had faced flak from Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Brinda Karat in 2006.
Karat had alleged Ramdev’s organisation Divya Yog Mandir Trust Pharmacy had used human and animal bones to prepare its medicines.
The charges were later dismissed after tests found the content in the medicines were herbal.
“Yoga is our own system. Our forefathers have been practising it for ages. Now, its scientifically proven that yoga can treat many diseases like diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, asthma, arthritis and mental stress which is root cause of many diseases,” Ramadoss said to a gathering of over 20,000 people who attended the camp to learn the ancient art form.
“Yoga is very effective as a preventive method and is useful for healthy life,” he added.
He said his ministry plans to make yoga mandatory in school education in association with the human resource development ministry.
While congratulating Ramdev for propagating yoga and Ayurveda across the world, he thanked him for rendering support to the health ministry in anti-tobacco and anti-alcohol campaigns.
Appreciating the various initiatives made by the health minister, Ramdev said Ramadoss is a “staunch supporter of a healthy India”.
The yoga guru said the combination of two “doctors” - Ramdev who is an exponent of yoga and Ayurveda and Ramadoss who holds an MBBS degree, one can be hopeful of revolutionary progress in India, which has emerged as a major “healing destination” worldwide.
“This is likely to usher in a new era of integration of allopathic medical science with other medical science practices such as Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (an alternative medicinal system),” Ramdev added.
- What feeds Ramdev's lifestyle empire - Jun 09, 2011
- Yoga guru Ramdev to open centre in Nepal - Mar 17, 2010
- Ayurveda, unani to be promoted through rural health scheme - Feb 10, 2012
- India's yoga power scores a hit in Nepal - Mar 26, 2010
- Ramdev's Rs.1,100 crore empire under scanner - Jun 07, 2011
- Folk healers want 'healing touch' of acceptance to continue - Nov 22, 2009
- Ramdev says campaign will continue, reaches Haridwar (Third Lead, Changing Dateline) - Jun 14, 2011
- Kerala to take ayurveda tourism to next level (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- Yoga, homoeopathy to be integrated with healthcare in UP - Sep 17, 2012
- Ramdev discharged, says campaign will continue (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- The Catholic experiment to make yoga popular - Oct 17, 2011
- Karnataka to set up yoga and naturopathy council - Feb 12, 2012
- Recognise hospitals practising alternative systems: Homeopathic Congress - Dec 19, 2010
- Will train nationalists, not Maoists: Ramdev (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- India for global recognition of Ayurveda, Unani - Aug 08, 2012