Mirwaiz under house arrest in KashmirJune 3rd, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 3 (IANS) Restrictions have been imposed on Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq who was to address a Friday congregation at the historic Jamia Mosque here, with police saying no one would be allowed to disturb the peace in Srinagar.
Mirwaiz told mediapersons on phone that he was about to leave for the Jamia Mosque when a heavy contingent of security forces was posted outside his uptown Nigeen residence in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.
“I was informed that I would not be allowed to move out of my house. I intended to offer the Friday prayers at the Jamia Mosque,” the Mirwaiz said.
A senior police officer said nobody would be allowed to disturb the peace in the city. “The separatist leaders are free to go anywhere they like, but that cannot be at the cost of the prevailing peace here,” the officer said.
Another senior separatist leader, Shabir Shah, chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, has also been placed under house arrest at his uptown Sant Nagar residence in the city, according to party sources.
Police said hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani had not been placed under house arrest and was free to offer the Friday prayers.
Sources close to Geelani said he would offer the prayers at the Iqra Mosque in Sarai Bala area of Srinagar city.
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in Srinagar - Jul 13, 2012
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- Protests in Srinagar over Facebook posts - Nov 18, 2011
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Geelani to lead funeral prayers for Osama in Kashmir - May 06, 2011
- No Friday curfew in Srinagar after six weeks - Nov 12, 2010
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: bala, contingent, democratic freedom, farooq, freedom party, geelani, house arrest, jamia mosque, jammu, june 3, kashmir, party sources, peace in the city, police officer, prayers, sant nagar, security forces, separatist leader, separatist leaders, srinagar