Minister says price rise beneficial for farmers, criticisedAugust 20th, 2012 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Union Minister for Steel Beni Prasad Verma Monday stoked a controversy with his comment that price rise was beneficial for farmers. The opposition pounced on his remark accusing the government of being part of the “mehengai mafia” (price rise mafia).
The minister made the remark Sunday while talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function in Barabanki, near Lucknow. Asked to comment on price rise, Verma said the government was taking steps to tackle it, but he was happy with the rising prices of food items as it was beneficial to farmers.
“With the increasing price levels, the farmers are benefitting. Dal, atta, vegetables have all become expensive. I am happy with this mehengai. The more the prices rise the better it is for farmers,” the minister said.
His remark attracted criticism from the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) with party leader Shahnawaz Hussain saying that though the government maintains it is for the common man, the minister’s remark showed it has “actually moved far away from the people”.
However, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was more critical, saying the government was the “Mogambo” or villain of price rise. He was referring to a popular portrayal of a villain from a Hindi film.
“The government is the mehengai ka Mogambo. It is certain that when prices rise, when there is unemployment and farmers commit suicide… then it is but natural that the mehengai ka Mogambo will be happy,” Naqvi told reporters.
“The government has become a member of this mehengai mafia and that is why when the common man mentions price rise, they are happy.”
- Minister says price rise helps farmers, draws flak (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Facing flak over price-rise remark, Beni now bats for retail FDI (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Beni Prasad Verma embarrasses Congress again - Aug 20, 2012
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Another union minister booked in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 24, 2011
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- Opposition heat on Chidambaram over ice cream remark (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Chidambaram says he did not mock middle class on price rise - Jul 11, 2012
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- Government is heartless, insensitive: BJP - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: abbas, atta, bjp, common man, criticised, food items, hindi film, lucknow, mafia, mogambo, naqvi, party leader, portrayal, pounced, prasad, shahnawaz, sidelines, taking steps, union minister, villain