Mining baron Reddy’s kin arrested in cash-for-bail caseJuly 22nd, 2012 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 22 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh’s Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has arrested Dasaradharami Reddy, a relative of former Karnataka minister and mining baron Gali Janardhana Reddy in the cash-for-bail scam.
The ACB announced Dasaradharami’s arrest Sunday though there were reports that he was picked up in Tirupati Friday night.
The key accused in the case was produced before an ACB judge, who sent him to judicial custody till Aug 4. He was later shifted to Cherlapally Jail.
Dasaradharami Reddy allegedly played a key role in bribing Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) judge T. Pattabhirama Rao for bail to Janardhana Reddy in illegal mining case.
He along with Janardhana Reddy’s brother Somasekhara Reddy and Karnataka legislator T. H. Suresh Babu handed over cash to the other accused.
The ACB has already issued lookout notices for both Somasekhara Reddy and Suresh Babu to prevent them from fleeing the country.
Dasaradharami is the ninth accused arrested in the case. Three judges including Pattabhirama Rao, a retired judge, a lawyer and a man with criminal record were among those arrested so far.
Pattabhirama Rao, his son Ravichandra, retired judge T.V. Chalapathi Rao, rowdy sheeter Yadgiri Rao, junior lawyer Aditya and Dasaradharami Reddy were arrested in the main case in which the CBI judge allegedly granted bail to Janardhana Reddy for Rs.10 crore.
Chief judge of city small causes court K. Lakshmi Narasimha Rao, district and sessions judge D. Prabhakar Rao and realtor Ravi Surya Prakash Babu were arrested for trying to bribe Pattabhi Rama Rao on behalf of Janardhana Reddy’s family for bail.
Pattabhirama Rao rejected the offer but later accepted the one which came through his friend Chalapathi Rao.
Narasimha Rao, during the questioning by ACB officials, has reportedly claimed that Janardhana Reddy’s relatives were ready to pay even Rs.100 crore for the bail.
The high court on May 31 suspended Pattabhirama Rao, who had granted bail to Janardhana Reddy on May 11. The orders were later struck down by the high court.
The two other judges arrested in the case have also been suspended.
Janardhana Reddy is currently lodged in Bangalore jail as he is standing trial in another mining case in Karnataka.
- Karnataka MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail scam - Aug 06, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Janardhana Reddy wanted bail at any cost' - Jul 23, 2012
- Andhra ACB files charge sheet in cash-for-bail case - Aug 13, 2012
- Two Karnataka legislators summoned in Andhra cash-for-bail scam - Jul 24, 2012
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- Suspended judge sent to police custody in bribery scam - Jun 29, 2012
- Former Karnataka minister Sriramulu appears before Anti-Corruption Bureau - Aug 21, 2012
- Cash-for-bail: Suspended judge, seven others booked - Jun 09, 2012
- Mediator received Rs.9.5 crore to arrange bail for Reddy - Jul 03, 2012
- Two more judges sent to jail in cash-for-bail scam - Jul 12, 2012
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
- Ex-Karnataka minister Janardhana Reddy's bail cancelled - Jun 13, 2012
- Names of two more judges surface in cash-for-bail scam - Jul 11, 2012
- Andhra's cash-for-bail scam sent to anti-graft bureau - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: acb, aditya, andhra pradesh, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief judge, corruption bureau, criminal record, friday night, judicial custody, karnataka minister, key role, lakshmi narasimha, legislator, lookout, narasimha rao, prabhakar rao, rama rao, sheeter, suresh babu