Militants strike on eve of Tripura pollFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 5:01 pm ICT by admin
Agartala, Feb 22 (IANS) Separatist militants kidnapped four Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) activists, including a party-polling agent, on the eve of the assembly poll in Tripura, police officials said here Friday. A police spokesman said heavily armed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militants late Thursday abducted the four CPI-M cadres from Chawmanu village in Dhalai district, 135 km north of the state capital here.
“An operation has been launched to rescue the kidnapped people,” the police official said.
In a separate incident, NLFT guerrillas assaulted more than 50 CPI-M supporters at Kalaynpur in west Tripura Thursday.
Police said 30 people were admitted to hospital after the attack.
“NLFT militants in association with the Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT), a tribal-based party, assaulted the CPI-M workers to terrorise them before the polls,” said Gautam Das, CPI-M spokesman.
The tribal guerrillas have also taken away electors’ photo identity cards (EPIC) from a large number of people in different parts of the state.
“We shall arrange alternative measures to allow those voters, whose EPIC have been snatched by the separatists,” said G.S.G. Ayyangar, chief electoral officer of Tripura.
Meanwhile, paramilitary forces have been deployed in all the 17 sub-divisions of the state in view of Saturday’s poll.
- 'Congress, INPT conspiring to oust Left in Tripura' - Jun 25, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Terrorists reviving outfits in Tripura, says police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Tripura CPM sees ploy behind American festival - May 02, 2012
- Nine Tripura terrorists flee Bangladesh, surrender - May 17, 2011
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Special powers act extended for six months in Tripura - Mar 19, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- Linkages between northeast terrorists continue: Government - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: alternative measures, assembly poll, chief electoral officer, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, district 135, gautam, guerrillas, national liberation front, nationalist party, paramilitary forces, photo identity cards, police official, police officials, police spokesman, s poll, separatist militants, separatists, west tripura