Militants shoot down helicopter in LibyaJuly 7th, 2012 - 5:19 am ICT by IANS
Tripoli, July 7 (IANS) Unidentified militants in Libya’s largest city of Benghazi
shot down a police helicopter Friday, killing one person in the incident, Xinhua reported early Saturday.
The police helicopter, carrying elections material, was downed by militants allegedly supporting autonomy in eastern Libya, said sources, adding that the victim’s identity could not be immediately confirmed.
The killed person was a member of the committee and the pilot on board survived, reported Libya’s Press Solidarity quoting a High Electoral Committee official.
The incident came a day ahead of Libyans casting their ballots for a national congress.
The elections are expected to replace the ruling National Transitional Council to supervise the government and oversee the drawing up of a new constitution following the overthrowing of Muammar Gaddafi, a ruler for four decades.
The polls are being boycotted by Libya’s self-proclaimed autonomous eastern region.
- Car bombing kills driver in Libya - Sep 02, 2012
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Libya bloodshed: Defiant Gaddafi says he is in Tripoli (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Libyan government accepts African Union's peace plan: Zuma - Apr 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Libyans form human chain against airstrikes by allied forces at Gaddafi's compound - Mar 20, 2011
- Seven Iranian aid workers kidnapped in Libya - Aug 01, 2012
- Gaddafi vows to 'get crazy' in face of foreign attack - Mar 18, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Sarkozy to visit Libya after Gaddafi's capture - Aug 26, 2011
- Gaddafi's forces recapture Misurata - Mar 17, 2011
- Spain expels Libyan envoy - Jun 17, 2011
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: autonomy, ballots, constitution, drawing, eastern libya, elections, electoral committee, four decades, libya tripoli, libyans, muammar gaddafi, national congress, national transitional council, pilot, police helicopter, polls, ruler, solidarity, xinhua