Miliband visits Rahul’s constituency Amethi (Lead)January 14th, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Amethi, Jan 14 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Miliband Wednesday visited Rajiv Gandhi’s Lok Sabha constituency Amethi with the Congress MP to see how the poor benefit from development schemes, but tight security kept the media at a safe distance. Gandhi and a 15-member British delegation led by Miliband reached the Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow and drove down to Amethi, about 80 km away, on a two-day trip.
Uttar Pradesh Congress spokesperson Akhilesh Pratap Singh told IANS that Gandhi and Miliband went to half a dozen mud and brick villages. Reporters crowding Amethi saw them whiz past in a convoy but could not talk to them throughout the day.
Gandhi inspected self-help groups and healthcare schemes introduced by him some time ago, especially for women, Akhilesh Singh said.
Miliband and Gandhi interacted with some women in the self-help groups, according to a party member accompanying them.
At a recent meeting with the Congress general secretary, Miliband had expressed a desire to see developmental activities in rural India. Gandhi promptly invited him to his constituency.
Gandhi and Miliband are also to visit the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital for secondary and tertiary care and the Indira Gandhi Eye Hospital in Amethi.
The Sanjay Gandhi hospital is named after the Congress general secretary’s uncle and the eye hospital after his grandmother.
- Pakistan should nab terrorists: Miliband (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Jan 15, 2009
- With Rahul, Bill Gates visits Amethi and Rae Bareli (Roundup, Changing dateline) - May 11, 2010
- Rahul to make three-day visit to Amethi - Nov 13, 2010
- Bill Gates visits Gandhi bastions with Rahul (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi to evaluate welfare schemes in Amethi - Jan 27, 2010
- Bill Gates to visit Amethi with Rahul Gandhi Tuesday - May 11, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi's 40th birthday grand affair in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 19, 2010
- Miliband's night out with Rahul - in a Dalit home (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Miliband to visit Amethi with Rahul - Jan 13, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi visits Amethi - Apr 23, 2011
- Hundreds attend Rahul's janata darbar in Amethi - Sep 03, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi raps officials for delay in Amethi project - Jan 28, 2010
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits Amethi with Sam Pitroda - Sep 01, 2010
- Women tie rakhis to Rahul, get assurance of development - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: british delegation, david miliband, eye hospital, gandhi hospital, gandhi memorial, general secretary, india gandhi, indira gandhi, Lok Sabha, party member, pratap singh, rajiv gandhi, sabha constituency, safe distance, sanjay gandhi, secretary david, self help groups, tertiary care, tight security, uttar pradesh capital