Miffed at ‘harassment’, Omar Abdullah stays away from PM’s meetingOctober 10th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 10 (IANS) National Conference (NC) president and MP Omar Abdullah Friday announced he would “stay away” from a meeting of political parties with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Srinagar “as a mark of protest” over alleged harassment by security personnel during inauguration of the Baglihar hydel project. Speaking to media persons by phone from Baglihar, Omar alleged he had been “harassed by the security personnel in Baglihar” where Singh inaugurated the first phase of the 900 MW hydro-electric power project earlier Friday.
Omar said he had, as a sign of protest, refused the official helicopter ride from Baglihar to Srinagar, where the prime minister has reached and is meeting leaders of mainstream political parties of Jammu and Kashmir.
“I am now coming back to Srinagar by road,” Omar said.
During the inaugural function at Baglihar, former chief ministers Mufti Muhammad Sayeed and Ghulam Nabi Azad shared the stage with the prime minister, while Omar, a parliament member and former union state minister, was not extended the right protocol, National Conferebce sources said here.
With Omar Abdullah staying away from the prime minister’s meeting, the NC has sent some of its middle-rung leaders to attend the meeting.
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Omar orders suspension of power to VVIP homes in Srinagar - Jan 07, 2012
- 'High court judge can't probe Kashmir custodial death' - Oct 03, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- India-Pakistan peace process must continue: Sayeed - Jul 30, 2012
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- PDP again raises custodial death, assembly adjourned sine die - Oct 04, 2011
- Revocation of AFSPA inevitable: Mufti Sayeed - Nov 11, 2011
- PDP influencing eye-witnesses: Omar - Oct 08, 2011
- Kashmir custodial death: Government rubbishes PDP charges - Oct 01, 2011
- Omar's meeting with governor routine: Government - Oct 08, 2011
- Mufti seeks boost for Kashmir economy - Dec 26, 2011
- National Conference flays Congress leader's remarks - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: baglihar, ghulam nabi azad, helicopter ride, hydro electric power, inaugural function, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, parliament member, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh