Middle East diplomatic quartet to meet next weekDecember 13th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 13 (DPA) The diplomatic group on the Middle East peace process, or the quartet, will meet Monday at the UN headquarters, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said.”It is a year which I hope will bear fruit in the Middle East,” Ban said Friday in a conference in Geneva announcing the meeting in New York.
“Somewhat below the radar, Israelis and Palestinians have been engaged in direct, intensive negotiations, and have created trust and a framework where none existed only two years ago,” he said.
“They are setting the stage for peace and are determined to continue,” he said. “It is up to the international community to help them realize that long elusive dream.”
Ban said he has invited several Arab governments to take part in the quartet discussions along with the four principals: the UN, the European Union (EU), the US and Russia.
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and high-ranking EU officials will attend the meeting under Ban’s leadership.
The quartet has called for the establishment of a Palestinian state living in peace alongside Israel. Various security and political steps have to be carried out before the two-state solution is achieved under what is known as a road map to end the Israeli- Palestinian conflict.
- Middle East diplomatic quartet to meet at UN - Dec 15, 2008
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Palestinian official accuses Blair of bias towards Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
- Middle East Quartet meets in Moscow - Mar 19, 2010
- Clinton in Moscow for arms reduction talks - Mar 18, 2010
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- UN Secretary-General to visit Israel and Occupied Palestinian territories later this month - Mar 10, 2010
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Middle East peace talks start in Egypt - Nov 09, 2008
- UN Security Council to discuss Middle East conflict - May 05, 2009
- UN chief visits Gaza to revive Middle East talks - Mar 21, 2010
- US-brokered Mideast peace summit begins - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: arab governments, ban ki moon, intensive negotiations, israeli palestinian conflict, israelis and palestinians, middle east peace, middle east peace process, new york dec, sergey lavrov, state condoleezza rice