Middle East diplomatic quartet to meet at UNDecember 15th, 2008 - 6:42 am ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 25 (DPA) The diplomatic group on the Middle East peace process, or quartet, will meet Monday at UN headquarters, a few weeks before the change of administration in Washington.US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and high-ranking European Union (EU) officials will attend the meeting under the leadership of UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
Ban said he has invited several Arab governments to take part in the quartet discussions along with the four principals: the UN, the EU, the US and Russia.
“It is a year which I hope will bear fruit in the Middle East,” Ban said at a conference Friday in Geneva announcing the quartet meeting in New York.
“Somewhat below the radar, Israelis and Palestinians have been engaged in direct, intensive negotiations, and have created trust and a framework where none existed only two years ago,” he said.
“They are setting the stage for peace and are determined to continue,” Ban said. “It is up to the international community to help them realize that long elusive dream.”
The quartet has called for the establishment of a Palestinian state living in peace alongside Israel. Various security and political steps have to be carried out before the two-state solution is achieved under what is known as a road map to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Middle East diplomatic quartet to meet next week - Dec 13, 2008
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Palestinian official accuses Blair of bias towards Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- Middle East Quartet meets in Moscow - Mar 19, 2010
- Clinton in Moscow for arms reduction talks - Mar 18, 2010
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
- Israel welcomes invitation to resume peace talks - Aug 20, 2010
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- UN chief visits Gaza to revive Middle East talks - Mar 21, 2010
- US-brokered Mideast peace summit begins - Sep 02, 2010
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- IBSA hopes Middle East, north Africa changes will be peaceful - Mar 08, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: arab governments, ban ki moon, intensive negotiations, israeli palestinian conflict, israelis and palestinians, middle east peace, middle east peace process, new york dec, sergey lavrov, state condoleezza rice