Michelle Obama to meet families of gurdwara shooting victimsAugust 19th, 2012 - 11:03 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 19 (IANS) US First Lady Michelle Obama will next week meet the families of the victims of the shootings in a Wisconsin Sikh gurdwara earlier this month, according to a community organisation.
Welcoming the “kind gesture” from the First Family, Rajwant Singh, chairman of the Sikh Council, said: “It is great to hear that First lady will be comforting the families devastated by the violence in the Sikh gurdwaras motivated by hate.”
“It is important that these families hear first hand how she and the president feel about this terrible tragedy,” he said in an e-mailed statement.
“It is indeed critical that the top leadership acts in such a dignified manner to heal the raw wounds of the families and the entire Sikh community,” Singh said.
“A visit by the first lady will be reassuring and heartening and it will be powerful symbol of President Obama embracing the Sikhs at this serious juncture,” he said calling it “not a Sikh tragedy but an American tragedy.”
Six worshippers were killed and four others, including a police officer, were injured in the Aug 5 shooting at the Oak Creek, Wisconsin, gurdwara by an alleged white supremacist, Wade Michael Page, who later killed himself.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Michelle Obama meets with gurdwara victims - Aug 24, 2012
- India reaches out to families hit by US gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- FBI asked to track anti-Sikh hate crimes - Sep 20, 2012
- Gurdwara gunshots heard in phone calls for help - Aug 16, 2012
- Top US law official calls gurdwara shooting a hate crime - Aug 11, 2012
- Sikh panel guides families in coping with shooting trauma - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- Sikh faith leader to offer invocation at Republican convention - Aug 27, 2012
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- 16-year-old charged in Wisconsin murder of elderly Sikh - Aug 18, 2012
- Four Indians among 6 killed in gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: acts, american tragedy, asian news, community organisation, first lady, indo, juncture, kind gesture, leadership, michelle obama, news service, oak creek wisconsin, police officer, raw wounds, sikh community, sikh gurdwara, sikhs, violence, white supremacist, worshippers