Michelle Bachmann suspends campaignJanuary 4th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Jan 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) After a disappointing outing in Iowa on Tuesday, Minnesota congresswoman Michelle Bachmann may be considering dropping out of the race, a report from the National Journal claims.
The media house cites a top Republican personality for the information. According to the report, Bachmann has realized that “there was no viable way forward” in her bid to get the Republican nod. She placed sixth in the contest and immediately told a group of supporters that she will carry on with the contest.
Bachmann had earlier canceled her scheduled campaign trip to South Carolina. The performance of Bachmann in the Iowa caucus summarizes how the campaign of the congresswoman has fared so far. She was considered the favorite of the Tea Party followers and was ahead in the initial straw polls.
In a straw poll taken last summer, Bachmann was the leader of the pack but she has since suffered loss in fortune. In sharp contrast to her fortunes, initial backers like Santorum and Gingrich saw their numbers climb up.
There has been no official confirmation of the report but if turns out to be true, Bachmann’s hope of becoming the first female US president will have to be put on hold. In her words, she is the only conservative who can defeat President Barack Obama come the November polls.
- Michelle Bachmann ends her White House bid - Jan 04, 2012
- GOP candidate to debate in Sioux City Iowa - Dec 16, 2011
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Romney coasts to second victory in a row - Feb 05, 2012
- Michele Bachmann ends White House bid - Jan 05, 2012
- Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum - Feb 16, 2012
- Romney pulls ahead, but Ohio still hangs in balance (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Former Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty drops out of presidential race - Aug 15, 2011
- Callista Gingrich is in the spotlight - Dec 24, 2011
- Romney, Santorum face showdown in Obama's home state - Mar 20, 2012
- GOP Congresswoman Bachmann set to launch White House bid - Mar 25, 2011
- Former Pennsylvania Senator wins South Carolina straw poll - Apr 10, 2011
- Romney wins six, but fails to deliver a knockout (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Santorum sweeps south; setback for Romney - Mar 14, 2012
- Santorum slows Romney's march with southern sweep (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: backers, barack obama, campaign trip, confirmation, congresswoman michelle bachmann, followers, fortune, fortunes, gingrich, iowa caucus, leader of the pack, nod, personality, santorum, south carolina, straw poll, straw polls, tea party