Michele Bachmann ends White House bidJanuary 5th, 2012 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 4 (IANS) US Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann Wednesday announced the end of her bid for the White House after coming in a distant sixth in the Iowa caucuses, Xinhua reported.
“Last night the people of Iowa spoke with a very clear voice and so I have decided to stand aside,” she said at a news conference in Des Moines, Iowa.
Bachmann won only five percent of the Republican vote in Iowa, the first state-wide party nominating contest, which ended in a virtual tie between former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and dark horse Rick Santorum, a former senator from Pennsylvania.
Bachmann said she had “no regrets” whatsoever and that she would continue to fight for the causes she emphasized on the campaign trail.
Elected to Congress in 2006, Bachmann, 55, was the founder of the House Tea Party caucus. She is consistently conservative on both fiscal and social issues.
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Romney coasts to second victory in a row - Feb 05, 2012
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- Bobby Jindal backs Romney as Santorum quits - Apr 11, 2012
- Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum - Feb 16, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney pads up lead as Santorum wins Kansas - Mar 11, 2012
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Romney gains presidential momentum with twin wins - Feb 29, 2012
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Santorum slows Romney's march with southern sweep (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Republican presidential candidates spar over everything - Sep 08, 2011
- Romney, Santorum face showdown in Obama's home state - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: campaign trail, dark horse, des moines, governor mitt romney, iowa caucuses, massachusetts governor, michele bachmann, mitt romney, moines iowa, news conference, no regrets, party caucus, republican presidential candidate, republican vote, rick santorum, social issues, tea party, us republican, virtual tie, xinhua