Meira Kumar mourns former speaker Bali Ram Bhagat’s deathJanuary 2nd, 2011 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar Sunday condoled the death of the former speaker Bali Ram Bhagat, who passed away in a Delhi hospital at the age of 89.”I am deeply pained to learn about the sad demise of Bali Ram Bhagat. Bhagat was one of those visionary leaders of independent India who guided the destiny of the nation during its early years and subsequently through its journey as a vibrant democracy,” Meira Kumar said in her condolence message.
She said Bhagat was a “veteran freedom fighter with a profound commitment to national welfare”.
“He had an abiding faith in parliamentary democracy. As the speaker of Lok Sabha, he left his indelible impression on the proceedings of the house and upheld its prestige and dignity.
“During his illustrious career of more than six decades, including as a minister of the union cabinet and governor, he made a purposive contribution in the process of nation-building and helped in redefining national priorities to customize them for pro-poor policies,” the speaker said.
“In Bhagat’s passing away, we have lost a worthy son of India. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family members and pray that they may get the strength to bear the irreparable loss.”
- Veteran Congress leader Bali Ram Bhagat is dead, PM saddened (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- PM condoles Bali Ram Bhagat's death - Jan 02, 2011
- Beni Prasad Verma condoles passing away of Arjun Singh - Mar 04, 2011
- President, PM mourn Rajesh Khanna's death (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Prime Minister, Vice President condoles passing away of former Speaker Bali Ram Bhagat - Jan 02, 2011
- Indian parliament mourns Japan tsunami deaths - Mar 14, 2011
- Meira Kumar mourns Digvijay Singh's death - Jun 24, 2010
- Indian parliament pays tribute to tsunami victims (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- People deserve credit for democracy's success: Meira Kumar - May 13, 2012
- Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Reddy was 'charismatic mass leader': Meira Kumar - Sep 03, 2009
- Bali Ram Bhagat is dead - Jan 02, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned after obituary references - Aug 01, 2011
- Former LS Speaker Bali Ram Bhagat dies - Jan 02, 2011
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: abiding faith, bereaved family members, condolence message, freedom fighter, heartfelt condolences, indelible impression, independent india, irreparable loss, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, national priorities, national welfare, parliamentary democracy, poor policies, profound commitment, sad demise, union cabinet, vibrant democracy, visionary leaders, worthy son