Meira Kumar files nomination for Lok Sabha speakerJune 2nd, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) Congress leader Meira Kumar Tuesday filed her nomination for the post of Lok Sabha speaker. Her nomination, proposed by United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi, leader of the Congress in the house Pranab Mukherjee, leader of opposition L.K. Advani of the Bharatiya Janata Party and most other parliamentary party leaders, is likely to be unanimous.
Meira Kumar, accompanied by Mukherjee, submitted her nomination at the Lok Sabha secretary general’s office.
“Meira Kumar’s nomination for the post of Lok Sabha speaker has been submitted,” Lok Sabha Secretary General P.D.T. Achary told IANS.
Meira Kumar, a Dalit leader and five-time MP, will become the first woman in the coveted post. She was chosen for the post by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Monday and resigned from the post of union minister of water resources.
The formality of the election is slated for Wednesday.
“We have submitted the nomination. Her (Meira Kumar) named was proposed by Soniaji and I seconded it,” Mukherjee told reporters after Meira Kumar filed her nomination. He also read out a long list of proposers that included leaders of most political parties in the Lok Sabha.
Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah and DMK leader T.R. Baalu also accompanied Meira Kumar when she went to file her nomination.
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Meira Kumar elected Lok Sabha speaker, unanimously - Jun 03, 2009
- Jubiliant Congress workers celebrate Mukherjee's victory (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice presidential contest - Jul 18, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- PM, Sonia congratulate Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
- 30-member JPC formed to probe 2G scam, telecom policy (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Viswanathan assumes charge of Lok Sabha secretary general - Oct 01, 2010
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Pranab says he likes Rashtrapati Bhavan lawns! - May 25, 2012
- India gets its first woman speaker in Meira Kumar (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Race for Raisina Hill on, Pranab, Sangma file nominations (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chairperson, congress leader, dmk leader, first woman, formality, l k advani, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, nomination, parliamentary party, party leaders, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, secretary general, sonia gandhi, union minister, UPA, water resources