Meira Kumar elected Lok Sabha speaker, unanimouslyJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Meira Kumar Wednesday became the first woman speaker of the Indian parliament.
The 64-year-old Congress leader from Bihar, a Dalit, was elected unanimously through voice vote after party president Sonia Gandhi proposed her name and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee seconded it.
The five-time MP, also a former foreign service officer, is the daughter of former deputy prime minister Jagjivan Ram.
Her nomination was also backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) after it became clear that she was the only candidate for the post.
Altogether 13 sets of nominations were submitted Tuesday by Mukherjee to Lok Sabha secretary general P.D.T. Achary. Those who backed her included Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.
- India gets its first woman speaker in Meira Kumar (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Will support UPA candidate: Pawar - Jun 14, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice presidential contest - Jul 18, 2012
- Sangma pitches for tribal as president - May 04, 2012
- Pawar wants consensus on president - Jun 13, 2012
- Patience, says Congress, amid presidential suspense (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election - Jun 28, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Mulayam holds presidential cards close to his chest - May 17, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Sumptuous menu at UPA's dinner; Mulayam, Lalu on main dais - May 23, 2012
- Presidential polls: Suggestions continue, parties keep mum (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Chronology of events to Pranab being named UPA's president candidate - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, congress leader, dalit, deputy prime minister, finance minister, foreign service officer, indian parliament, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, mulayam singh yadav, nationalist congress party, old congress, party chief, party president, pranab mukherjee, Samajwadi Party, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, voice vote, woman speaker