Meira Kumar as speaker impresses opposition MPsJune 3rd, 2009 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Meira Kumar, the first woman speaker of the Lok Sabha, impressed the opposition MPs on her first day in chair, with many saying she will be a success in this role.
“She was very impressive as speaker. She is humble and able,” said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Shahnawaz Hussain.
“She looked like a guardian… not like a headmaster,” Hussain told IANS.
Meira Kumar made history earlier in the day as the former diplomat and Dalit leader became the first woman to hold the prestigious constitutional position.
M.B. Rajesh, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) MP from Kerala, said Meira Kumar would be successful as speaker.
“She managed the proceedings effectively today. She silenced Lalu Prasad and Sharad Yadav when they engaged in a verbal spat. There was no sign of excessive interference,” said Rajesh.
Meira Kumar intervened to maintain order in the house when the two Yadav leaders from her home state of Bihar - Rashtriya Janta Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad and Janta Dal-United (JD-U) leader Sharad Yadvav - exchanged heated arguments in the house.
The speaker issued a directive to reporters to expunge the arguments between them.
“She will be a successful speaker. Her speech was encouraging and impressive,” said Rajesh, a first time MP from Kerala.
- Speaker pulls up Sharad Yadav - Aug 17, 2012
- Congress leaders attend Shahnawaz Hussain's iftar - Aug 18, 2012
- Speaker's first ruling expunges Bihar leaders' verbal spat - Jun 03, 2009
- Presidential polls: Suggestions continue, parties keep mum (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Unparliamentary words in parliament stall proceedings (Parliament Roundup) - May 05, 2010
- Only Shatrughan, Shahnawaz secular in BJP: Lalu - Jul 05, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned twice as protests continue (Lead) - Mar 10, 2010
- Clamour for minority quota in Lokpal, Lok Sabha disrupted (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Indian parliament elects its first woman speaker, Meira Kumar (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2009
- Congress MP breaks down in Lok Sabha over Gujarat police action - May 02, 2012
- Sushma Swaraj apologises for Ananth Kumar's remarks - May 06, 2010
- BJP protest forces parliament adjournment - Mar 16, 2011
- (VM) Meira Kumar meets party leaders - Aug 06, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned for day over women's bill trouble (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2010
- Question hour disruptions upset speaker - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constitutional position, CPI, diplomat, first woman, headmaster, janta dal united, jd, june 3, kerala, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, opposition mps, prasad, rajesh, shahnawaz, spat, woman speaker, yadav