Meghalaya wants boundary issue with Assam resolvedMarch 16th, 2011 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Mar 16 (IANS) The Meghalaya assembly Wednesday adopted a resolution urging the central government to form a commission to re-define the boundary between Meghalaya and Assam.
Revenue Minister R.C. Laloo, who moved the resolution, said a series of meetings between the two states at the political and administrative levels had not led to a long-term solution.
Meghalaya became an autonomous state in 1971 and a full-fledged one Jan 21, 1972.
Since then, the inter-state boundary has been a point of dispute between Meghalaya and Assam.
“The issue has caused immense hardship and economic dislocation to the people living in the border areas including loss of life (and) resulting in deterioration of inter-community relations between the people on the border,” the resolution said.
Last year, both Assam and Meghalaya constituted a Joint Committee to be headed by the chief secretaries to formulate modalities for resolving the vexed dispute.
- Meghalaya for a commission to re-define boundary with Assam - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Commission needed on Meghalaya-Assam boundary dispute' - Dec 21, 2011
- Meghalaya CM calls all-party meet on boundary row - Jul 25, 2012
- Want to settle border row with neighbours, says Gogoi - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Assam chief minister should pay house rent to Meghalaya' - Mar 12, 2012
- Help resolve Meghalaya-Assam border dispute: Mukul Sangma - Jul 05, 2012
- HSPDP withdraws support to Meghalaya's Congress government - Jul 14, 2012
- (VM) Mizoram panel to resolve border disputes - Aug 10, 2012
- Mizoram forms panel for border disputes with Assam, Tripura - Mar 27, 2012
- Garo rebels pose challenge to peace: Governor - Mar 09, 2012
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Sangma admits areas close to Assam border neglected - Jun 01, 2010
- Bifurcate Assam-Meghalaya joint cadre too: Meghalaya legislators - Sep 06, 2012
- Meghalaya, Assam ministers to discuss border dispute - Nov 11, 2009
Tags: administrative levels, assam, autonomous state, border areas, central government, chief secretaries, community relations, deterioration, economic dislocation, inter state, jan 21, joint committee, laloo, long term solution, modalities, revenue minister, shillong, state boundary, two states