Meghalaya I-Day celebrations marred by shutdownAugust 15th, 2012 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 15 (IANS) The Independence Day celebrations in Meghalaya were marred by a shutdown called by a militant group, which affected life in the state.
The shutdown was called by outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC).
The HNLC, which conducts hit-and-run raids from its hideouts in Bangladesh, wants a sovereign Khasi homeland in the state.
In capital Shillong, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma unfurled the national flag and took the salute at a ceremonial parade.
“The government will continue to follow its policy of zero tolerance to criminal activity by any group,” Sangma said.
Congratulating the people for taking a tough stand against militancy, he said: “I firmly believe that it is the strong will of the people that will enable the government in eradicating the menace of insurgency from the state.”
Urging the insurgents to surrender and join the fight against hunger and poverty rather than playing into the hands of anti-national elements, Sangma said: “Our government has kept an open mind in dealing with militant outfits. I am aware that a number of our young men are drawn into these outfits under compelling situations.”
- Meghalaya celebrates I-Day amid shutdown - Aug 15, 2011
- Governor laments rising militancy in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2012
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Khasi rebel outfit ready for talks - Aug 15, 2012
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Meghalaya rebel leaders send feelers for talks - Feb 18, 2011
- Ex-member of rebel group held in Meghalaya - Feb 24, 2012
- Meghalaya government open to talks with rebel groups - Nov 30, 2010
- Security stepped up in Meghalaya as rebels call shutdown - Aug 14, 2010
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Meghalaya heightens security ahead of I-Day - Aug 11, 2010
- Hold talks with rebels, women's group tells Meghalaya - Aug 16, 2012
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- Sangma urges Meghalayans not to support terrorists - Aug 15, 2010
- Meghalaya rebel group says its leader is in Bangladesh - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, chief minister, hideouts, hunger, independence day, independence day celebrations, insurgency, insurgents, khasi, militancy, militant group, militant outfits, mukul, national elements, national flag, national liberation, poverty, salute, shillong, young men