Media sensationalising Lalu, DMK absence from cabinet meeting: PMMay 9th, 2009 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 9 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday said that the media was “sensationalising” the absence of UPA partners - Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad, Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan and DMK leaders from Friday’s cabinet meeting.
Asked to comment on the absence of the ministers from a cabinet meeting, Manmohan Singh said: “Media sometimes is interested in sensationalism of even trivial issues.
“Ministers have prior responsibilities - meetings are called at short notice. (union Home Minister P.) Chidambaram could not come because of his preoccupation here, Mani Shankar Aiyar was also not there…”
The brief cabinet meeting, described as an administrative exercise, was perhaps the last of the present United Progressive Alliance-led government and also the most thinly attended. Along with Railway Minister Prasad and Steel Minister Paswan, ministers from the the DMK and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) of Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar did not attend.
- Ansari files nomination for vice presidential contest - Jul 18, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Pawar, Patel skip cabinet meeting - Jul 19, 2012
- NCP skips cabinet meeting over 'problems' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Lalu, Paswan skip cabinet meeting, stay with UPA (Second Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- I won't join UPA: Paswan - Jul 07, 2010
- Lalu says Congress leaders humiliating him - May 18, 2009
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sumptuous menu at UPA's dinner; Mulayam, Lalu on main dais - May 23, 2012
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Lalu Prasad launches RJD campaign - Oct 06, 2010
- RJD paves way for tie-up with Congress in Bihar - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: agriculture minister, cabinet meeting, lalu prasad, mani shankar aiyar, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, ncp, p chidambaram, party chief, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, railway minister, ram vilas paswan, sensationalism, sharad pawar, trivial issues, union home minister, vilas