Media baron withdraws candidature in favour of TharoorMarch 27th, 2009 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 27 (IANS) Independent candidate and head of a Congress-backed television channel Vijayan Thomas Friday withdrew his candidature for the Thiruvananthapuram seat in Kerala in favour of former UN official Shashi Tharoor.
Thomas said his withdrawal is “unconditional” and made after a request from Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
“After I decided to contest as an Independent, there was tremendous pressure on state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala and (Leader of Opposition) Oommen Chandy because of me. I had done lot of work (in the constituency) and I apologize to all those who supported me,” Thomas told reporters here.
Thomas is the chairman of Jai Hind TV channel and his candidature came as a rude shock to the party.
Tharoor, who also made an appearance at the press conference, said: ” His (Thomas) withdrawal will certainly strengthen me and I respect him for what he has done.”
Tharoor said that after resigning from the UN, he had invitations from three political parties.
“Joining the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) was ruled out and then the other option was to join the Left. Since I have some certain reservations about their ideology, I felt the Congress is the best.”
When asked to compare the Lok Sabha polls and his unsuccessful bid for the UN Secretary General’s post, he said: “For the UN post I was a candidate of just 15 voters but now I am proud to be where there are 1.3 million voters.”
- Congress-owned channel head to contest opposite Tharoor - Mar 20, 2009
- I won't withdraw candidature: Congress rebel Vijayan Thomas - Mar 26, 2009
- Kerala CPI-M legislator resigns - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Antony confident of UDF victory in Kerala - Apr 13, 2011
- Chennithala, Muraleedharan likely to contest - Mar 09, 2011
- Chennithala supports Chandy for Kerala chief minister - May 15, 2011
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- Achuthanandan to contest Kerala polls from Malampuzha (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Singhvi withdraws from Kerala lottery case - Sep 30, 2010
- Achuthanandan faces flak for remarks on ex-CPI-M woman leader - Mar 11, 2012
- Tharoor now to concentrate on Lok Sabha constituency - Apr 20, 2010
- Chandy not in Rahul's good books, says Kodiyeri Balakrishnan - Mar 30, 2011
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: bjp, candidature, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, favour, independent candidate, jai hind tv, jai hind tv channel, kerala, leader of opposition, lok sabha polls, political parties, ramesh chennithala, rude shock, state congress, television channel, tharoor, thiruvananthapuram, un secretary general, vijayan