MDMK planning television channel to counter ‘disinformation’ campaignApril 13th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 13 (IANS) The MDMK will launch a television channel in December to counter the “disinformation” campaign against the party by Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi and the demands of “suffering Lankan Tamils”, according to a party statement Monday.
“The MDMK executive committee’s resolve to combat the disinformation campaign against us in the media mounted by (Chief Minister M.) Karunanidhi to divert people’s attention from the vital aspects of the Lankan Tamil problem was announced at the start of Vaiko’s election campaign last (Sunday) night at Virudhunagar,” the statement said.
“Vaiko will contest the elections from the Virudhunagar constituency, undeterred by the trumped charges filed by Karunanidhi or the empty threats of arrest,” it added.
Police commissioner K. Radhakrishnan told reporters Monday that legal aspects of arresting Vaiko and actor turned politician T. Rajendherr for alleged anti-national speeches in support of banned LTTE leader V. Prabhakaran, were being examined.
- Vaiko may be arrested again: Chennai police - Apr 12, 2009
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Court pleas, threats, protests to save Rajiv's killers (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Rajiv killers move high court; Karunanidhi backs plea (Night Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Sedition charges politically motivated: Vaiko - Apr 10, 2009
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, chief minister, constituency, election campaign, elections, empty threats, executive committee, last sunday, legal aspects, m karunanidhi, mdmk, police commissioner, prabhakaran, radhakrishnan, speeches, tamil, tamils, television channel, vital aspects