MCD opposition leader asks for separate cycle-rickshaw tracksFebruary 17th, 2010 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Leader of Opposition Jai Kishan Sharma Wednesday demanded separate tracks for cycle-rickshaws should be made in the capital.
“The BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) hurriedly prepared cycle-rickshaw policy for the city. It did not consider pros and cons of the policy. The opposition was not taken into confidence,” Sharma, a Congress leader, said.
Sharma suggested that the government should encourage use of cycle-rickshaws by laying separate tracks for them. The MCD is controlled by the BJP.
“Cycle-rickshaw has today become lifeline of the city and is widely used to commute to Metro stations, bus stops or market places. The policy prepared by the BJP in 2007 overlooked the interest of poor rickshaw pullers,” Sharma added.
Appreciating a Delhi High Court judgment, he said: “The BJP should have appealed in the court to increase the number (of cycle-rickshaws) because when the number was fixed, the position of the city was very different.”
- Delhi High Court stays MCD circular on cycle rickshaws - Mar 02, 2012
- Delhi government quizzed on road lanes for cycle-rickshaws - Aug 18, 2010
- Metro hikes parking fees from Sep 8 - Sep 01, 2011
- MCD asked to submit action plan for cycle rickshaws - Oct 29, 2009
- Supreme Court pulls up 'anti-poor' Govt., refutes to rein in Delhi's cycle rickshaws - Aug 06, 2010
- Aligarh to impose 'steep' fine on rickshaw users - Dec 14, 2010
- MCD poll fever peaks on last day of campaign - Apr 13, 2012
- Delhi's rickshaw pullers may get biometric badges - Dec 14, 2009
- Cycle rickshaws need of the hour, ban arbitrary: Court - Feb 10, 2010
- Congress slams BJP-ruled MCD for proposed property tax hike - Jan 04, 2011
- Police pulled up for 'insensitivity' to rickshaw pullers - Dec 08, 2009
- DTC bus kills cyclist (Second Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Dissolve MCD, hold fresh polls: Congress - Jul 07, 2010
- Cycle rickshaw pullers demand more road space - Mar 29, 2010
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: bjp, bus stops, confidence, congress leader, court judgment, cycle rickshaw, delhi high court, jai, kishan, leader of opposition, lifeline, metro stations, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, opposition leader, pros and cons, rickshaw pullers, rickshaws