MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJPMarch 12th, 2012 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Ahead of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi elections, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday took on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which dominates the MCD, on the issue of corruption, saying “people living in glass houses should not throw stones at others.”
An aggressive Dikshit took on the BJP on issues ranging from ghost employees in MCD, to damaged roads under under MCD, and also ridiculed the BJP for its Rath Yatra in the capital to “highlight the failures” of the Congress government.
“Why are they doing Rath Yatra. The elections are in MCD not in the capital. Are they (BJP) leading the yatra against the corruption in MCD which is ruled by them,” Dikshit told reporters at a press conference at her residence.
Dikshit also lambasted the BJP for violating the model code of conduct for the March 15 municipal polls.
“The BJP violated the model code of conduct. They decided to regularise teachers posts, renamed streets and sanctioned developmental work projects when the model code of conduct was in effect,” said Dikshit.
Dikshit also trained her guns on Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta alleging that he forged the affidavit of his NGO “Sampurna”.
“Vijendra Gupta owns an NGO called Sampurna which has taken money from MCD and others. The affidavit of the NGO is false,” revealed Dikshit.
Dikshit said that all the allegations levelled against the Congress-led government were false and baseless.
“Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones at others,” said Dikshit.
The chief minister also said the BJP was trying to play down the “historic decisions” of trifurcating MCD and reserving 50 percent seats for women councillors.
The chief minister denied that the outcome of Uttar Pradesh assembly election will have an impact on the MCD polls.
Samajwadi Party won the elections with a landslide victory in Uttar Pradesh.
- No new taxes, medical college: BJP promises for civic polls - Apr 08, 2012
- No intention to defame anyone: Sheila Dikshit - Mar 15, 2012
- This was not my election: Sheila Dikshit - Apr 18, 2012
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012
- Court reserves order in case against Dikshit (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
- Civic poll loss not a referendum on me: Dikhit (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- Citizen's charter among Congress promises for MCD polls - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- Defeat in Delhi civic polls a wake up call to Dikshit - Apr 19, 2012
- Bhagidari will be introduced if Congress wins: Dikshit - Apr 13, 2012
- MCD elections: Congress to come up with three manifestos - Mar 19, 2012
- MCD trifurcation: Delhi mayor meets Chidambaram - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: affidavit, allegations, assembly election, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, chief minister, code of conduct, congress government, corruption, glass houses, gupta, landslide victory, model code, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, ngo, rath yatra, sampurna, sheila dikshit, work projects