Mayawati uses Ambedkar to attack CongressApril 14th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, April 14 (IANS) The 117th birth anniversary of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Monday came handy for Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati to renew her attack on the Congress and arch political rival Samajwadi Party. Dedicating the Rs.500 crore gigantic Ambedkar Samajic Parivartan Sthal (Ambedkar Memorial for Social Change) to the people at an impressive ceremony here, Mayawati flayed the Congress party, in particular, and the opposition in general for their “bias against the architect of the Indian Constitution”.
Her 45-minute-long speech, which she is understood to have prepared herself, sounded more like a pre-election message making it clear that none other than Ambedkar, Kanshi Ram and herself were genuinely concerned for the dalits and backward classes in the country.
She also chose to run down father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi, India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru and other Congress icons.
“The Congress party has been spending hundreds of crores of rupees to build memorials like Rajghat (the samadhi of Mahatma Gandhi) and other institutions in the name of its leaders on sprawling lands acquired in the most prime area of New Delhi; but when I sought to do the same for Ambedkar, leaders of the Congress and Samajwadi Party got together to condemn and criticise me”, she told the gathering amid cheers.
Seeking to credit Ambedkar alone for the country’s reservation policy, she said: “even reservation for backwards is attributable to him only.” And to buttress her point she cited the provisions under Article 340 of the Indian Constitution.
“Even the provisions relating to welfare and well being of religious minorities were enshrined in the Constitution entirely because of Ambedkar”, she claimed.
Without commenting on the Allahabad High Court order staying construction work on the grand memorial to Ambedkar, she gave the judicial intervention a political twist.
“The Congress has always posed hurdles in the path of constructing this memorial and Samajwadi Party went to the extent of declaring the site as a green belt to prevent us from going ahead with our plans. However, since BSP returned to power after ousting SP, they engineered a PIL to frustrate our plans,” Mayawati claimed.
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Mayawati allocates Rs.500 crore more for parks, memorials - Aug 10, 2010
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Congress slams Mayawati for 'wasting public money' - Oct 14, 2011
- Dalit memorials will be set up 'come what may': Mayawati (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- BJP promises to remodel Mayawati monuments, oppose minority quota (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Finally, veils go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Congress will instal Meira Kumar or Shinde as PM: Mayawati - Oct 14, 2011
- PM calls all-party meet May 23 over job quota - May 18, 2012
- Mayawati demands representation of SCs, OBCs in Lokpal - Aug 26, 2011
- Congress, BSP rallies in Ambedkar Nagar Wednesday - Apr 13, 2010
- PM's all-party meet on promotions quota put off - May 22, 2012
- Mayawati slams Dikshit for diverting Dalit funds to CWG - Aug 03, 2010
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: allahabad high court, bhimrao ambedkar, birth anniversary, congress party, crores, election message, gandhi india, impressive ceremony, indian constitution, jawaharlal nehru, judicial intervention, kanshi ram, nation mahatma gandhi, parivartan, political twist, prime area, prime minister jawaharlal, religious minorities, reservation policy, Samajwadi Party