Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party officeJanuary 14th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 14 (IANS) Keeping in mind the model code of conduct in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) will host the birthday bash of Chief Minister Mayawati Jan 15, when she turns 56, at the state party headquarters here, an official said.
Unlike in the past, when the birthday bash was hosted by the state government which she heads, this time it will be a party affair. “Behenji’s birthday celebration is being hosted by the party and it is certainly not a violation of the election model code of conduct,” claimed state BSP president Swami Prasad Maurya.
According to him, Mayawati would also release the seventh volume of her autobiography with the latest account of her achievements.
While Maurya feigned ignorance about it, sources in the BSP indicated that Mayawati was also likely to release her election manifesto on the occasion.
Maurya, however, claimed, “It is unlikely since the birthday function would not be mixed with the election, otherwise the election commission might link it to poll expenses.”
All major party functionaries are expected to attend the function, but government officials have been told to keep away.
Mayawati’s birthday celebrations were usually associated with fund collection drives. Three years ago, an executive engineer of the state public works department was attacked and killed by a BSP MLA in Auraiya district because the young man refused to shell out money demanded by the MLA for ‘Behenji’s birthday’. The MLA eventually landed in jail.
- Mayawati lashes out at CEC for covering statues - Jan 15, 2012
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- BSP fields more upper castes, Muslims in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2012
- BSP fears for Mayawati's safety, slams UPA and UP government - May 04, 2012
- Quraishi defends cover-up directive to BSP - Jan 09, 2012
- Mayawati flays poll panel for draping statues (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Mayawati seeks fifth term as birthday gift (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Mayawati orders release of Banda rape victim - Jan 15, 2011
- Congress leader re-ignites quota controversy, opposition furious (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Mulayam gives Akhilesh full marks on completing 100 days - Jun 22, 2012
- Mayawati replaces UP state unit president - Jul 11, 2012
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: autobiography, birthday bash, birthday celebration, birthday celebrations, birthday function, bsp, chief minister, code of conduct, election commission, election manifesto, executive engineer, feigned ignorance, government officials, lucknow, mla, model code, party affair, party headquarters, state government, swami