Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helplessMay 12th, 2011 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 12 (IANS) Accusing opposition parties of instigating farmers to demand higher compensation for land, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Thursday berated Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi over delays by the central government in passing an amended land acquisition bill.
Hitting out at Gandhi for his demonstration in Bhatta Parsaul village, Mayawati said the “yuvraj” (prince) of the Congress should fight a battle on the issue within his own party and government.
“It seems this helpless individual’s writ is not running within his own party…,” Mayawati said, calling him a “bechara” and adding that he was venting his anger through “dramabazi” (drama).
Gandhi Tuesday staged a day-long sit-in in Bhatta Parsaul village in Greater Noida near the national capital, in support of farmers seeking higher compensation for land acquired for the 156-km Yamuna Expressway, which will link New Delhi with Agra.
The Congress leader was arrested late in the night and then released.
She said the land in Bhatta Parsaul was not acquired for Ganga or Yamuna Expressway but by the Greater Noida Authority and due compensation had been paid to farmers.
Mayawati also hit out at Congress president Sonia Gandhi, saying she had to face questions from farmers in her constituency Rae Bareli Wednesday for inadequate compensation paid for land taken for Rail Coach Factory.
“Instead of being there (in Greater Noida), Congress leaders should have been in Rae Bareli where farmers were struggling against less compensation paid to them,” she said.
She said her government was committed to maintaining law and order. Strict action, she said, would be taken against everybody irrespective of their stature.
Mayawati accused the central government of delays in passing the amended land acquisition policy.
According to her, Uttar Pradesh had evolved its own land acquisition policy because of delays by the central government.
Clashes broke out between farmers and police in the village Saturday, leaving four people dead.
- Mayawati slams opposition conspiracy, says Rahul helpless (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- As parties play politics of land, divides deepen (Roundup) - May 12, 2011
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Rahul takes Greater Noida villagers to meet PM; says women were raped (Roundup) - May 17, 2011
- Clashes as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Rahul to address rally in Bhatta Parsaul - Jun 07, 2011
- Uneasy quiet at Bhatta-Parsaul village - May 17, 2011
- Why can't UPA dismiss Mayawati government, asks BJP (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Rights panel finalises Bhatta-Parsaul report - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi detained in Uttar Pradesh village - May 12, 2011
- Need judicial inquiry for atrocities on farmers: Digvijay Singh - May 12, 2011
- NHRC team to visit violence-hit Greater Noida village - May 12, 2011
Tags: acquisition policy, agra, central government, chief minister, coach factory, congress leader, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, due compensation, ganga, general secretary, greater noida authority, inadequate compensation, land acquisition, law and order, lucknow, opposition parties, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, strict action